Brian Enos's Forums... Maku mozo!

Sight Picture at start of match

Last month I shot at our sectional championship. I had been pushing myself to see how fast I could run stages in local matches going up to this match. After getting more and more mikes, I decided to go 90% speed by telling myself "shoot all A's". This worked very well for the first 5 stages with no mikes and good points and then we had a lunch break. I was first up on a memory stage and did not feel great about my plan, but had to go. With no mikes on prior stages, I through 3 on this stage. Looking back I didn't think i ever looked at the front sight on this stage. Also, this was the only stage i did not get a sight picture prior to making ready. Ended up 4th in class, but could have been 2nd without this bad stage.

My question is how important is getting a sight picture prior to making ready?

My question is how important is getting a sight picture prior to making ready?

Not nearly as important as it is to obtain it at the buzzer.

I for one relied heavily on dry fire to burn in that initial (sight picture) presentation.

The time before 'make ready' is short and valuable. I use it to visualize my movement, sequence and rhythm.

I kid with my buddy that after every match that I don't recall every seeing my front sight. He always asks, "Did you use the force again?". So for the SC Match, I actually wrote "FS" on the back of my weak hand thumb. Since I shoot production, and have to lower the hammer at make ready, I have to see my thumb right before I start. It helped me remember, "Use your front sight". Sounds pretty stupid I know, but, I had one of my best matches, and can recall seeing my front sight most of the day. ( had to use the force on at least one or two stages.... :rolleyes: )

Anyway, to your questions, can't hurt seeing the front sight at the Make Ready, but remembering to focus on it during the COF is critical.

I do a sight picture at LAMR every stage, if the stage involves strong or weak hand shots, I will do a sight picture with both hands.

it's especially important with an open gun, it reminds me to turn on the dot :rolleyes:

Excluding the verification that you have turned your dot on - "seeing" a sight picture during the 'make ready' portion should not have any bearing on how well you shoot a stage.

What is important - getting yourself aligned properly to your draw target. Meaning, draw the gun to your natural point of aim and THEN shift your body so that the sight picture is on the target.....then repeat to verify you have yourself aligned properly.