Brian Enos's Forums... Maku mozo!

Problem with dawson extended base pads?

Kevin Holman

I have been running 3 extended Arrendondo +5's on my G34 mags for a long time. My G34 has never had a single hiccup during that time.

I recently acquired 3 dawson precision +5's that came with extended springs. I installed them, and in the last two matches, I have had two malfunctions. One was a stovepipe, the other was an empty chamber click halfway through the mag in a course of fire. Rack-bang and I was back in action.

Seems more than coincidental.

I did not notice or mark the mags when they malfed... so I dont know if it is the same mag in both cases or spread across 2 out of the 3.

Thoughts?

You may have to bevel the bottom back tip of the Glock followers and or the bottom of the actual magazine for function with the Dawson base pads. The followers can hang up at the junction between the basepad and the mag because of the design, similar to the same issue with Taylor Freelance basepads. I believe Dawson includes directions for this with the basepads or at least he used to. The Arredondos don't seem to exhibit this issue because of the design.

The video seems more focused on modifying the followers for getting the follower past the transition area when loading.... not while shooting, as it will be going in the other direction.

For those who said they must be tuned/fitted - what specifically did you do????

I have both Dawson and Arrendondo base pads. Mine worked better with Dawson base pads when I replaced the springs that came with the kit with ISMI springs. I then went a little farther, and used clippers to trim off the back of the stock followers, then beveled the edges, and sanded. They all seem to work without a problem. I can only seem to get 18 rounds in the Dawson pad equipped mags, and 20 in the Arrendondo equipped mags. I have tried switching the foloowers around, but it doesnt seem to matter. The Dawsons hold two less rounds, but they are easier to take apart and clean if dropped in powder like dirt. shoose your poison!

I just received two Dawson basepads. I've got a couple Arredondos that have worked fine with 20 rounds, but thought I try these. Now you guys have got me second guessing myself. I knew I should have stuck with what was working.

To be fair I haven't opened the Dawsons yet. hopefully they'll run with 20 rounds, with minimal tinkering.

I am not having any issue with capacity with the Dawsons.

The Arredondos with my G17 mags are supposed to be a "+6" in 9mm. They will allow 23 rounds in the mag, but it is TIGHT and does not allow for seating the mag on a closed slide. I only load 22.

The Dawsons with my G17 mags are designed to offer a capacity of "21 or 22" rounds according to the Dawson video... however mine all fit 23 rounds with a little more room in there than the Arredondos.... so if anything, I'd say the capacity is better with the Dawsons. I still choose to run 22 rounds per mag, just because it seems like the entire mag is extremely overcompressed with 23, and to increase reliability on closed slide reloads.

I did the follower fluff and buff on the dawsons.... we will see if that makes any difference on reliability. All my mags are latest generation with #6 followers.

• 3 weeks later...
  • 5 years later...

I've watched the video and read the responses.  But I'm still not sure if this fix addresses feeding issues or if it only applies to people who can't fill their magazines to capacity. 

I received four  extensions a few days ago. Ran 10 rounds through each mag. Had a couple of feeding issues. Said screw it and took them to a shoot this last weekend anyway. Had zero problems. Then tonight I went outside and had probably 8 feed failures. 

Can anybody help?

19 hours ago, Swanny10 said:

I've watched the video and read the responses.  But I'm still not sure if this fix addresses feeding issues or if it only applies to people who can't fill their magazines to capacity. 

I received four  extensions a few days ago. Ran 10 rounds through each mag. Had a couple of feeding issues. Said screw it and took them to a shoot this last weekend anyway. Had zero problems. Then tonight I went outside and had probably 8 feed failures. 

Can anybody help?

So went out today and had zero malfunctions in all 4 mags. I'm officially confused.