Brian Enos's Forums... Maku mozo!

Slide not locking back on CZ 75 SP01 Shadow

JonAre

Hi!

I'm back from my second trip to the range with my second hand CZ 75 SP01 Shadow. It's supposed to have about ~1500 rounds put through it, and I can't really see any obvious signs of excessive wear. Everything works just fine, except that the slide won't always lock back after the final round in a magazine. This happens maybe one time in three, and it locks back if I pull the slide manually. I shoot Sellier & Bellot 115gr 9mm ammunition. I'll try to add some more lubrication to the mating surfaces between the frame, slide and barrel, but is there something else I should check or try? Is it a common issue?

Thanks!

mechanically, what makes the slide lock back is the follower pushing up on the underside of the slide stop. so, test to see if it only happens with certain magazines, and that your slide stop positively touches the followers. inspect your followers for wear, and replace magazine springs as needed.

otherwise, make sure you're not riding the slide stop with your thumb or hand under recoil.

I've tried with both the magazines I own. I might get a pair of new magazines soon, so if it's the magazine springs I should be able to confirm that then. It's not a problem when pulling the slide manually, but maybe the follower is too slow when firing? Should the magazine be lubricated in any way?

I could be riding the slide release, as I place my thumb on the safety, but I think it's happened once or twice with my thumb on the grip as well.

My thumb rides the safety, but sometimes there is just enough of the tip of my thumb to engage the slide release preventing slide lock. That's the easiest thing to check. I'd start there and then take Squirrels tip on checking the followers.

I bet that it's one of your thumbs hitting the slide release. That's happened to me a bunch. I ended up shortening it by a bit to help. Wish there was a shorter one available from the factory...

Before you go to a lot of trouble--TRY a another brand of AMMO--some may be verrry minor power factor--then if it ant broke don't fix it--just saying,,,my $.02

I've seen a couple guys having issues with their thumb placement, and the SP01 slide stop. Could always trade someone/buy a regular 75B slide stop and check that out. It's fixed a couple peoples issues I've seen with it's smaller profile.