Brian Enos's Forums... Maku mozo!

9mm Brass problems

CBags04

Regardless of what some here have said this is common with FC and CCI labels. I ran into it last year myself. I was using a Dillon sizer and neither of those brands would hold the bullet tight in 9mm with MG bullets. But all others were very tight. I went with the U-die and now everything is equally tight.:cheers:

http://www.brianenos.com/forums/index.php?showtopic=103799&view=findpost&p=1189009&hl=%22discovered+setback%22&fromsearch=1

I sort and load one headstamp at a time. Not for accuracy but because more consistent stroke effort. Some primer pockets are tighter require more seating pressure and some brass size to different dimensions. When sizing WW and if a Speer or FC brass sneaks by, I can tell during the sizing because the stroke requires way less effort. Also, have you mic'd your bullets? I find commercial cast bullets to vary up to .002 in diameter. Big brass, small bullet...loose bullets/setback.

Loading one headstamp at a time will probably resolve your problems. Adjust expanding and crimp die to particular brass/bullet combination you are loading...readjust with component change.

Fc is shorter then win

No one listened to this guy, but I think he may have hit the nail on the head. Shorter cases will not enter the seater as deeply, affecting crimp

I recently had to mic every 9mm case I own and sort them first according to that. Then according to headstamp. Royal pain, but may solve your problem

I did. I checked probably 10-20 Fed cases with the WIN and RP cases that I was using and there were all very close.

Every seems to have a knee jerk reaction to go with a EGW die. Any good sizer should work fine (but not all sizers are GOOD). I prefer the Lee sizer because it seems to sizer everything fine and gets rid of the bulge with out excess sizing like the EGW tends to do. I would try a EGW only after trying a regular Lee die.

Get a Lee sizer, The lee sizer is in first station of every pistol caliber I load, they have a well designed sizer, sizes closer to the extractor groove and a little tighter than other dies. I like the way the primer punch works also. I believe the carbide four die set is on sale at Midway USA this month. Might pick up a extra punch if you order a Lee die set, I've only broken two but it's always nice to have a spare. Use the Dillon lock nut, it's more secure.

Do not over crimp, crimp doesn't hold the bullet, the case correctly sized at the first station holds the bullet. Crimp is to help feed the bullet in the chamber. Too much crimp and accuracy goes away or causes the bullet to tumble-keyhole. Measure the case where the bullet is seated in nine it should be .380 subtract .002, set crimp at .378. Should give you the most accurate round.

I have and use the U die in 9mm, 40S@W, 45acp and super 38 and have gone back to a standard Lee sizer in 9mm minor. It seems to work better with lead bullets.

The only brass I throwing away are Military because I don't want to swage primer pockets and case volume is less that commercial brass.