Brian Enos's Forums... Maku mozo!

Sighting with 25 meter Bushmaster target

Using my BM carbine today I put the handle back on for a 200 yd shoot next week and checked the zero for the round I'm going to use. I don't think I'll have time to resize any brass and reload this week this week so I'm going to use a 55 grain PMC Bronze.

BM has a 25 meter target with grids and a big M in the middle that seems to say if I zero it on that target at 25 meters that I am good at 300 meters. "IF" that is right, with a 55 grain PMC round, do I need to adjust the front sight to be on target at 200 yds? I'll be shooting at 8"x13" steel plates.

If I do get a chance to reload about 125 rds I'll use 69gr Sierras in case it is windy and get out Friday to sight-in. So since whoever know the answer to this knows more about ballistics than I do, if a 69 grain is zeroed at 25 meters, is there a different adjustment for 200 yds than the 55 gr round?

Thanks in advance,

Walsh

P.S. FWIW, I had occular implants in Sept and have 20/15 in my LE but 20/30 in my RE and it's not stable yet to try to improve. Bifocals for handgun are going to be mandatory. I am working on upside-down bifocals from ESS for pistol shooting (LE dominant), but with my RE and the rifle, while the post is not clear, it's fascinating in that there is enough metal in the front sight to center that unfocused post such that my groupings at 25 meters when I was using my last handloads was quite good. I thought I wouldn't be able to shoot steel sights at all with a rifle until I worked something out with glasses. All eyes are different. Mine are 56 years old and YMMV

• 1 month later...

Using my BM carbine today I put the handle back on for a 200 yd shoot next week and checked the zero for the round I'm going to use. I don't think I'll have time to resize any brass and reload this week this week so I'm going to use a 55 grain PMC Bronze.

BM has a 25 meter target with grids and a big M in the middle that seems to say if I zero it on that target at 25 meters that I am good at 300 meters. "IF" that is right, with a 55 grain PMC round, do I need to adjust the front sight to be on target at 200 yds? I'll be shooting at 8"x13" steel plates.

If I do get a chance to reload about 125 rds I'll use 69gr Sierras in case it is windy and get out Friday to sight-in. So since whoever know the answer to this knows more about ballistics than I do, if a 69 grain is zeroed at 25 meters, is there a different adjustment for 200 yds than the 55 gr round?

Thanks in advance,

Walsh

P.S. FWIW, I had occular implants in Sept and have 20/15 in my LE but 20/30 in my RE and it's not stable yet to try to improve. Bifocals for handgun are going to be mandatory. I am working on upside-down bifocals from ESS for pistol shooting (LE dominant), but with my RE and the rifle, while the post is not clear, it's fascinating in that there is enough metal in the front sight to center that unfocused post such that my groupings at 25 meters when I was using my last handloads was quite good. I thought I wouldn't be able to shoot steel sights at all with a rifle until I worked something out with glasses. All eyes are different. Mine are 56 years old and YMMV

If you can get a zero at 50 yds, instead of 25, you will be right on at 200 and a bit high at one hundred. If you zero at 25 yds you will be a couple of inches high at 200 and on agaon about 300 yds. Your choice, but I always try to be on at 50 so I'm Ok anywhere from about 25 to 250 yds. By Ok I mean within about 1.5" and that at 100 and again past 250 yds. Wit a 13" high target you hould be fine with either zero, but if you know your most challenging shots will be at 200, I'd zero to be on at 200. Good luck.

As steel said, the 25/300 and 50/200 are going to get you close. But if you truly want to be sighted in at 200 or 300, you have to shoot at those ranges to do so.

Well I placed 4th in one of the competitions so it must have been the zero... :blink:

My shooting glasses arrive this week (ESS) and I have an appointment neext Wed for the bifocal in the upper insert to see the sights clearly. Other than that, I'm just getting trigger time as I really can't see jack at the sights without them after having my eyes fixed.

Thanks for the replies.

Edited by walsh