Brian Enos's Forums... Maku mozo!

glock trigger troubleshooting

cardiackid

I fixed the problem, but I'm trying to identify what I did wrong in the first place...

Stock G17 - This pistol is still relatively new to me (I used to shoot my G19) and I haven't fired more than a hundred rounds with it prior to the match, so at first I attributed it to just not being used to the feel of a new gun/new trigger but by the end of the match I knew something was up as it felt so much different than my 19. During the IDPA match this past weekend (of course right during the first stage) I noticed that my trigger needed a little extra "oomph" to break and the perceived reset was fairly short and not as pronounced. When I say extra oomph, I mean a noticeably higher amount of pressure to break (safety, take-up, etc. was fine - it was just right as it was about to break.) I detail stripped the weapon tonight, cleaned it, looked for anything out of place or abnormal abrasions on any contact surfaces, etc. and did not find anything. I reassembled it and voila - everything was back to normal.

Anyone have any ideas what I may have assembled wrong when I put it back together in the first place? It wasn't anything grossly out of place - somehow putting something in backward, etc. as the gun functioned fine throughout the whole match with the exception of the odd trigger break and reset. My guess is that I somehow had some portion of the trigger group slightly off center or jammed up against something, but I have virtually no idea how this is possible. Just looking for any thoughts from those of you who have sent a hundred times more rounds down range with glocks than I have.

I'm thinking that was the cause as well. Maybe when I dropped it in I had it kinked to one side while installing the trigger bar. I think it's one of the only things that could have caused the odd feel.

If it worked fine after the DCOA, chances are you had crud collecting between the trigger bar and the connector. That can make it harder to break. Fortunately it's easy to disassemble and clean.

Adam

Simply needed oil.

I've had to "fix" a number of these at the range for people over the years. Same issue.

It is a machine, oil the parts that rub against each other. In this case, the junction between the connector and the trigger bar.

When I installed my Vanke trigger in my 24, there was lube in the trigger bar/connector area that was most probably Slide Glide. I have never used Slide Glide on Glocks before, but it seems to be working very well.

Yep - I'm positive I had the trigger spring cocked sideways in it. Basically replicated the same feel messing around with it yesterday. Good to go and one more troubleshooting step to add to the inventory for the future. Thanks guys.

Just adding my input because someone else might look in this post. There are two square tabs on the trigger safety that would hang up on the trigger when I put my finger on it. Slight adjustment with a razor solved the problem for me.