Brian Enos's Forums... Maku mozo!

Updating an older Open Gun

Patriot1776

I have an older .38 Super that I would like to update to be more modern. It is a Para frame with a Springfield slide, has a 2 port comp, uses a Wilson Combat weaver mount for a PDP-4 tube scope. Everything is pretty tight, but it feels like I'm heaving around a kettlebell during target transitions. I am considering a slide mounted dot, but can't get a solid bead on the consensus of durability, and I am fairly certain that there should be a bigger comp on it. And suggestions would be greatly appreciated. Thanks in advance.

I have a Para built in 1995 that was updated a few years ago.

Went from a two port comp to a four port comp and from a Tasco Propoint to a C-more. Since it was built for the old power factor (175), I'm not sure I really gained much on the comp swithout. The C-More is a big improvement.

The mag catch was modified to use SVI/STI mags.

Still a little hefty, but could shave a few ounces with a little machine work on the slide and an aluminum mag well.

Still a good old workhorse.

Bill

My recommendation on a comp is easy. Dawson DP-2. Now as weight goes, immediate inexpensive relief is an aluminum guide rod, Briley makes one I use. However, I will say that Bertah Butt weight is keeping the bounce and recoil down.

Slide weight isn't all about the weight of the gun or balance, it is about how the gun reacts when ignition happens, a lighter slide with the same force hitting it goes faster, hence the need for a better comp and possibly a heavier recoil spring to slow it down. Slide target weight naked is 10-10.5 ounces.

If you are going to lose the tube, keep in mind that the tube is lower to the slide than the standard C-more mount, so the sideways will make an easier transition for you. The Cheely puts the C-more more forward out of thumbs way than the Quinn II, the Quinn I is about the same position as the Cheely. Both are great mounts and great guys, its all about where you want the C-more.

ooh, I almost forgot, If its not broke don't fix it. You didn't say anthing about how it shot, all of these changes will make it shoot very differently than it does now. If you love the way it shoots just keep pushing it around and after a while your muscles will catch up.