Brian Enos's Forums... Maku mozo!

Military 45 acp brass

Chuck D

I shoot 45 acp...LOTS of 45 acp. I have roughly 7000 rounds of once fired Military Match brass. I need to find out what the correct method is to"uncrimp" the primer pocket so a regular CCI or Winchester primer can be seated w/o crushing the new primer during the seating process.

Does someone make a tool that removes the factory "crimp" around the primer pocket? :angry:

When I run into a piece of brass that has a tight primer pocket due to a crimp, I simply run an Exacto blade around the pocket a few times. Takes enough off of the edge of the pocket to allow easy seating of the primers. Now this is a once in a while thing, I would NOT advocate this process for 7K worth of cases. :o

Yikes, my fingers are getting numb just thinking about it! :wacko:

Isn't it just for rifles? (Specifically, .223, .308, .30-06) Or do they have another model or insert?

If the question is about the Super Swage, here's what Dillon's website says:

The Dillon Super Swage 600 comes complete with large and small swage.

Chuck D,

I'll admit my first thought was of a 1050, but more along the lines of finding someone in your club who has one. Split the brass with him/her for the one-time use of their 1050, and your brass has been decrimped.

If Loves2Shoot joking suggestion was too much ribbing, then resign yourself to many evenings with a swager and your brass.

If you're mechanically inclined, you could do what my friends and I did when faced with multiple 55 gallon drums of crimped .45 brass. (I kid you not, 55 gallons of brass per drum) We built a powered trimmer using an electric drill, a case deburrting tool and an electronics housing box. We rigged it so the deburring end with the cone shape stuck out of the box just enough to remove crimps. We then took turns sitting in an easy chair with the trimmer, pressing brass gainst it. The surface of the box stopped the brass at the correct height.

After we got halfway through the first drum we were picking up empty pop bottles for the deposit, to scrounge enough space cash to buy the then-new 1050.

If you really get into volume loading, the cost of a 1050 will seem small.

Patrick, I don't want to buy a 1050 or borrow one...just want to know if someone makes a tool to uncrimp the primer pocket of the brass I have.

Jokingly or not...I'm not willing (although I AM able to afford one) to buy a Dillion 1050 press. I'm rather happy with my RCBS Pro 2000 press and yes I do a fair amount of "volume" reloading (20,000 rounds a year on average).

Using the proper tool suggested by many whom responded to my question and residing to the fact that it WILL take a while...I'll complete the task. ;) Without spending a small fortune to do it.

Thanks everyone for the "tool" advise. :)

A Forster crimp remover is pretty damn quick when chucked in an electric drill...

7000 times might make me cuss a little though.

You don't need any other Forster stuff to go with it, just the crimp remover , like under $ 10.

The trick is to not remove any more brass than neccecary.

Travis F.