Brian Enos's Forums... Maku mozo!

Any Lefties Out There?

KJames

I am a left handed shooter who recently started competing in IDPA.  I quickly realized that I was at a disadvantage during reloads using my 1911 with a right handed mag release.  I purchased an amibidextrous mag release and would like to use it.  Is this a legal modification in CDP?

My other option is to move to SSP and shoot a Beretta with the mag release reversed.  Has anyone had similar problems?

KJames,

My wife is a lefty and has no problem using her trigger finger to release the magazine. She doesn't have to change her grip to reach the button like a right handed shooter. Right handed shooters used to put an ambi safety on their 1911's so they could release the mag with their trigger finger. You can get a slightly extended release button like comes on Kimbers that will make it a little easier.

There is nothing in the rule book about ambi mag releases. Ambi safeties are allowed. You could send an e-mail to IDPA HQ and ask.

Bill Nesbitt

I'd recommend using your trigger finger too.

I have a good friend who's a lefty and a master class USPSA Limited shooter. He uses his trigger finger and does 1 second reloads. He's always said he has an advantage being a lefty. By using the trigger finger to operate the mag release it's virtually impossible to have an AD on the reload because your finger was on the trigger.  You have to get your finger out of the trigger guard to operate the mag release.

Being a righty with small hands, I've considered getting an ambi release just so I could do the same thing.

Thanks for the input guys.  The trigger finger seems to work fine, just a little harder to operate than with my thumb.  I'm using a relatively new Kimber and the release is still a little stiff, but reachable.  So much for a prefab excuse for slow reloads!  Time to adapt...    

You lefties will have another advantage using your strong hand finger.  On stages that start with the gun on the table, your weapon won't be resting on the mag release.  I have seen a few right handers activate the mag release as they grabbed the gun off the table.  Bang---click-----reseat mag-----rack slide------re-index...  That kills their stage.  Hell, sometimes just thinking about it kills their stage.

Kyle,

On a table; in a closed briefcase; unloaded, in a locked lockbox with a trigger lock installed; but sofar never in a freezer......Chriss will understand that last reference!  The lockbox with triggerlock I thought was a real good test of manual dexterity in working itty-bitty little keys; only later did I realize, after nailing a no shoot with my first round, that it really messes with your ability to keep your head in the game.  Still, average times to unlock and load and engage three paper targets was around 15 seconds for everyone.

hello kjames,

i am left handed as well.

i actually pinch the weapon with the strong thumb and trigger finger keeping the trigger finger straight. rotate the middle, ring and pinky finger on the front strap and use my middle finger to hit the mag release.

i am as quick, or quicker (practice) than anyone else.

interesting thing happened too, being a lefty.

i was inserting the magazine and the index finger of my support hand just happened to wrap around and hit the slide stop on the left side of the gun dropping the slide (idpa slide lock reload).

that is what i now use to drop the slide since the support hand is already in position, i just rotate to a full firing grip after i drop the slide with the support hand.

this is very fast for me and insures the magazine is inserted before the slide stop is engaged.

hope this helps

have a good one man

will s.

Thanks for the info.  I've been experimenting with different methods and I'll try your suggestion.  I think most of the problem was in my head.  I started out thinking of a right handed gun as a disadvantage.  My only real problem was trying to use it like everyone else.

Keith

Bill

After looking at the IDPA rules, I agree that since the ambi mag release isn't specifically included, it is is by definition excluded (at least I read it that way).  I called Smith and Alexander to exchange it for a new magwell and they said they used the ambi release in IDPA with no problem.  Probably a case of don't ask, don't tell...

Regardless, I've decided that the 1911 is really a lefthanded gun in disguise, so I'll try to shoot it that way!

Keith

Keith,

Yeah, you read the rules right...additionally under the "NON-INCLUSIVE list of EXCLUDED modifications:" you will note: "Extended oversize magazine release buttons".

The ambi button could fall under that exclusion.  

You just gotta be careful because there's so many IDPAers who hate IPSC and will try to get you DQ'd if you appear to be too gamey, etc.  

Bill

• 1 month later...

Smith and Alexander used to sell a reduced power mag catch spring and it will allow your trigger finger to very easily drop the the magazine out.  I am a lefty and consider it an advantage to be able to drop the mag without shifting the gun around to be able to do so like the 'righty's' have to when using their thumbs to hit the mag release.  Get the reduced power mag catch spring and you'll see and feel a BIG difference.

• 3 weeks later...