Brian Enos's Forums... Maku mozo!

2 Glock Questions

heyfaroutman

1. If you have a bullet in the chamber, what would stop it from discharging if you dropped the gun or it had a mechanical failure? I hear they are similar to a double action, whereas the firing pin's only way to travel back and strike the bullet is if the trigger is pulled.

2. Most semi-autos you pull the slide back and the firing pin is put under tension, and with a good impact could set it off accidentally. I hear that the only and I mean, absolute only way a glock shoots is if the trigger is pulled.

Any advice would be helpful

Thanks

There are more knowledgable members out there that may have a better description but:

1. That bar dingus on the trigger prevents the trigger from moving rearward unless it is depressed. If the pistol is dropped without anything pulling back on the trigger, it won't shoot.

2. There is also a striker block (that round cylinder you see in the slide) that must be pushed up for the striker to move forward. The trigger bar moves the striker block up as the trigger is pulled.

Unless the trigger is pulled, it will not go off.

If you call GLOCK @ 770-432-1202 Ext.223. Tell them you what some info on joining the GSSF(GLOCK Sport Shooting Foundation), and you would like a product guide (GLOCK Annual). In this Annual you will find a lot of information about how the safeties work.

But lets see if I may be able to help:

1. There is a safety on the trigger, which prevents the trigger from traveling to the rear, unless it is press directly rearward.

2. There is a firing pin safety plunger, which is in the down position when the slide has been pulled to the rear. This stop the firing pin from traveling forward to the primer. The only way this safety plunger can be moved out of the way is to pull the trigger to the rear....See # 1.

3. When the slide is pull towards the rear to chamber a round, the trigger stop and the safety plunger are engaged. This action moves the firing pin just a very small amount towards the rear. Therefore, the firing pin is in a neutral poisition, and not under any tension. Of course all of this changes, when the trigger is pull all the way to the rear.

So, I would say a GLOCK will NOT fire unless the trigger is pull to the rear.

yes, and despite all the incredible press GLock gets, they didn't invent either of these systems. I dunno, something about the opening post made me think you were under the impression that Glocks were unique in this repect.

Almost every modern pistol has a passive firing pin block safety, even the damn wheel guns.

There is also a description of the safeties with animated gifs at www.glock.com.

1) Trigger lever safety - This small lever prevents the trigger from moving rearward unless the trigger safety lever is first depressed. This keeps the trigger from moving rearward due to inertia if dropped hard.

2) Drop safety - The window in the ejector housing (under the ejector) is more shallow in the front than the rear. A part of the trigger bar rides in this window and when the trigger is not pulled to the rear the trigger bar sits in the shallow section. In this section the trigger bar cannot drop down far enough to release the firing pin. This keeps the trigger bar from being jarred down (and thus releasing the firing pin) due to inertia if dropped hard.

3) Firing pin block - There is a steel plunger in the slide which in the normal position, blocks the ability of the firing pin to move forward enough to strike a primer. When the trigger is pulled to the rear, the trigger bar pushes up on this plunger and a path is cleared for the firing pin to move forward. This plunger keeps the firing pin from being able to strike a primer if it were to move forward from spring pressure or inertia.

I can't think of a way that you could get an unaltered Glock to fire from just dropping it.