Brian Enos's Forums... Maku mozo!

Two quick unrelated questions

AFDavis11

I shoot in Production right now...

rule 8.1.2.2 of the 2001 rulebook says"...safe action"- chamber loaded, hammer fully down or decocked" as the ready condition

I know on my XD it is fully "up" and cocked...

I thought on a Glock it was partially "up" and partially cocked

am I missing something?

If I rack the slide and chamber I should be in "ready" position right???

did the new rulebook change this?

Second question:

I am interested in shooting revolver again, at one club I go to there are other revolver shooters but one of them has an aimpoint sighting system and a compensated gun...he handily wins in the revolver Division. I thought if I had all that stuff I would handily lose the Open Division. Am I wrong?

Current rules for Production division require starting in double action mode, whatever that may be for your particular gun. If your hammer is back or cocked or "up", allowing the gun to fire in single action mode, then you are not legal for Production. Pulling the trigger must cock the hammer and then release it.

As for the revolver shooter with the dot and comp--he should be in Open, not Revolver, if the club is shooting USPSA/IPSC matches.

Regards,

Troy

Nik, I'm afraid I don't know the answer to that question. I think that the Divisions were one thing that the BOD was still working on when I got my copy of the rules, since changes there didn't affect the level one material too much. I have heard conflicting stories about changes in US Divisions, so I hate to commit. That's why I cited the current rules.

If I find anything out, or some lurking BOD member cares to chime in, I'll post it here.

For now, though, the XD is still Production legal, per the current rulebook.

Sorry I couldn't help more.

Troy

AFDavis,

I don't have the issue of Front Sight with me right now, but the approved list for Production in the new rules was included in the Jan issue and I am 99% sure that the XD was on the list.

If you are talking about Rudi, he shoots his 625 in Revolver Div in the morning slot and his Open Rev in Open Div in the afternoon slot at our NMPS matches. By the way he was the only competitor to get all 15 of his shots off in the Timed Fire Standards in the morining relay at the last match. He won overall at a match last year shooting his Open revolver.

Jerry M. is the only guy that I have seen can shoot a wheel gun better.

Tim

Thanx,

Don't really know if I'm talking about Rudy but that probably explains what I saw (an Open revolver and the scores posted under Revolver), and I remember that stage :D I'm sure the XD-9 is legal, and I'm going to assume that chambering a round is the proper way to start. I think my question was more about the rule itself. Lets focus on the Glock for a sec, the hammer (according to the rules) must be down. So is the rule a little off for "safe action" or am I incorrect in thinking that the Glock's hammer is partially cocked by the action of the slide? I don't think it's really a big deal, just trying to learn about the rules and guns.

Tim, thanx for the info...that was a great match and both those guys are fast with their revolvers. Thanx for setting me straight, once I get my class in Production I will try and bring out my revolver and learn a whole lot from both those guys.

So is the rule a little off for "safe action" or am I incorrect in thinking that the Glock's hammer is partially cocked by the action of the slide?

See Q14 here for an explanation of how IPSC views the "Glock Vs Springfield" issue.

However note that while IPSC withdrew it's approval of the Springfield XD Series for Production Division, the USPSA continues to authorise them for use in Production Division for matches held within the USA. See here for more information about the USPSA changes to the IPSC approved gun list.