Brian Enos's Forums... Maku mozo!

Strange jam

olp73

I have a strange jam that occurs sometimes. Maybe not more than 2 times per 1000 rounds, but I like to get rid of it. The slide stops on the middle of the round on its way forward. It would be easier to explain if I had a picture, but I don’t. The round does not leave the magazine. Sometimes the round points more of less straight upward when I strip the mag. Bullet facing me.

I am thinking that the slide moves to fast that the next round is not ready to be striped of the mag when the slide passes. So, I need to slow the slide a little. This is a Tanfoglio/witness and for you guys not familiar with the gun, the slide is super light and super fast compared to a 1911. It is also possible to beat the gun to pieces if you go to light with the spring so I might have over done it. Meaning, the spring in the gun is heavy. Now I have a lighter spring in the gun…

Am I on the right track here? The gun is small frame 9mm.

10 lb min spring for a major load. George Huening used to sell ones that I believe were about 15 lbs, higher PF back then of course. 10lb is really pushing it as far as maybe being too light of a spring.

I have a Huening package in my parts box that says "major loads" and is 18 pounds......

If it were me I'd be checking my magazine springs and my overall length too to make sure your bullets tips aren't dragging......

10 lb min spring for a major load. George Huening used to sell ones that I believe were about 15 lbs, higher PF back then of course. 10lb is really pushing it as far as maybe being too light of a spring.

The spring I describe as heavy is actually supposed to be 10 pound but I think it is a lot more. Have an 11 pound spring in my Infinity Limited gun and that feels like nothing in corporation. I also have a 8 pound wolf but I have only used that one for steel/factory ammo. Now I am going to try out a orginal Tanfoglio spring that I guess is around 11.

My question is really. If the brass almost fall out of your gun the spring has to be heavy enough, right? 2 feet away from my shoe, that’s it. If you have seen a Tanfo Limited gun you know that they eject brass really far.

The slide may not be moving all the way to the rear. Did you check to make sure that the recoil spring is not binding, take the spring out and re-assemble, use a marker pen to indicate how far back the slide will go, then re-install the recoil spring to make sure that the slide has the full amount of travel available.

Next check your magazine springs, does the problem happen with new springs as well as old magazine springs. Try spraying some silicon spray inside the magazine body to ensure that nothing is binding up inside the magazine and slowing down the rounds as they move up.

The slide may not be moving all the way to the rear. Did you check to make sure that the recoil spring is not binding, take the spring out and re-assemble, use a marker pen to indicate how far back the slide will go, then re-install the recoil spring to make sure that the slide has the full amount of travel available.

Next check your magazine springs, does the problem happen with new springs as well as old magazine springs. Try spraying some silicon spray inside the magazine body to ensure that nothing is binding up inside the magazine and slowing down the rounds as they move up.

The spring is not binding. I have checked that, but had to clip two coils.

The mags are new mac-gars for CZ75. I haven't tried the silicone spay trick, but will do. thanks.