Brian Enos's Forums... Maku mozo!

9mm in 40cal mags

92fs

Has anyone tried to use 40cal mags for 9mm? I live in a state where high cap mags are a no-no so, I was looking for a way to load to division capacity during a match without carying an extra mag just to top off with. Pre ban mags are very expensive and someone brought up the idea of using a mag from a G22/35 for in my G34. If the gun feeds and cycles, it's not a bad idea.

It does work, I've done it. However, you do risk the rounds popping out the top. I've seen that happen also. If you are going to use it for a Barney mag, it should be fine.

• 2 weeks later...

Tried it. Works. But unreliably.

Yep - my experience here too. Sometimes it runs. Sometimes you get what I could best describe as a double-feed.

Pre ban mags are very expensive and someone brought up the idea of using a mag from a G22/35...

I've got a non-drop-free pre-ban Glock 22 mag somewhere. I think it's got a TF basepad on it as well. I'd swap you straight across for a new mag / basepad. Don't know if you want to mess with a non-drop-free though.

Edited by Garrett

Metal Sig magazines have the same distance between feed lips in 9mm and .40 mag bodies, the difference being in the shape of the cut out at the back of the mag. A .40 round just sits a tiny bit lower when it's in the feed position. In a Sig, 9mm and .40 can be run in either mag without a problem, just be aware that the witness holes for round counts don't work.

+1 on the above posts that in a Glock, it CAN work, but doesn't do so reliably. The feed lips are a bit different. I tried and abondoned the idea.

Ive got a Gen 1 tube, follower and spring that will hold 17, only down side is that I do not have a basepad for it ...

You SHOULD be able to call Glock and get the early gen 1 basepad for minimal money.

If you want it let me know and Ill send it to ya for 5 dollars shipping.

Ive got a Gen 1 tube, follower and spring that will hold 17, only down side is that I do not have a basepad for it ...

You SHOULD be able to call Glock and get the early gen 1 basepad for minimal money.

If you want it let me know and Ill send it to ya for 5 dollars shipping.

Ok, I am interested! I'm sure I can find parts for it.