Brian Enos's Forums... Maku mozo!

Moving from Minor to Major

GuyC

I recently moved from minor to major. The recoil seems to take forever to recover. I have been use to .18-22 splits and I am looking at .37 splits today on a el preidente. The gun was definitely not shooting flat, more up and to the right and then took a while to recover and gain my sight picture. ( I am shooting a 6" STI with a light slide)

Should I drop the resistance on my recoil spring? Any help is appreciated!

I may just have to put 1000 round down range and repost. I have shot major before and do not remember it being like this.

Actually, what I meant was,

What caliber, what powder, how many grains, what bullet weight, seated to what length?

In short, your recipe for both minor and major.

I should have known better

9mm seated long (do not know the depth of my head)

125 grain Berrys

3.9 grains of Bullseye

CCI SP Primers

180 grain Missouri Bullets, seated at 1.150

4.2 grains of Bullseye

CCI SP Primers

Edited by GuyC

I thought you might've been using too slow a powder and creating unnecessary recoil.

Definitely not the case.

I'd shoot major exclusively for the next few matches, maybe work on your grip strength, forearm muscles, etc. to try and get the flip down. And it may just be your perception of it. So it might just take time to get used to it.

Another thing you could do is shoot a mag or so of factory, then some of your reloads, to put it into perspective.

• 2 weeks later...

I recently moved from minor to major. The recoil seems to take forever to recover. I have been use to .18-22 splits and I am looking at .37 splits today on a el preidente. The gun was definitely not shooting flat, ...

Lose the gear focus, and shoot what you got. You are the variable that need the most adaptation.

Are you shooting with a squared shoulders ISO stance? If so, think more and more about your support hand grip. It needs to be doing the work.