Brian Enos's Forums... Maku mozo!

Model 66 & .38 Short Colt Moons

Glockman1000

Unless I'm missing something, I can't any big benefit to it, considering...

...it'd make the gun ineligible to shoot IDPA SSR (may not use guns machined for moons, even if speedloaders are used. You also can't use SC/LC brass in a 66 in IDPA)

...it likely won't make major PF (required for IDPA ESR and good for USPSA)...

...and you'd still be limited to 6 shots (8-shot guns can shoot ICORE Limited).

You could get a separate cylinder machined for moons, have it fit to the gun, then use the combo for USPSA, ICORE Limited or Classic (with speedloaders). When it's time to shoot IDPA, swap in the other cylinder, and shoot SSR with .38spl brass and speedloaders. Still seems like a lot of hassle for a little gain, though. Just my $0.02.

Tom

Thanks for the input. I have HKS loaders for it and was looking at other options to make this mainly a fun gun to shoot .38 SC, Special, and the occasional .357 Magnum. We don't have any ICORE or IDPA out here just yet. I do have an extra cylinder I can use for other events if the need arises.

I've trimmed .38 spec brass down to .935" and use it with speedloaders (a tad too short to work 100%), and use them for ICORE and USPSA. As far as IDPA and their rules regarding revos, well nuff said. I am going to get my cylinder cut for moons on my 686 as soon as S&W gets me my 625 back from repair. You can use any brass in ZSA shooting, we are about the shooting, not the rules (safety is our one and only rule, followed by have fun).

OK Tom go ahead and cite where the guns cut for moonclips are disallowed in the SSR. Or are we going on the idea that since it's not a permitted modification? How about since there are rimmed ammo chamberings coming cut from the factory that should not be a factor....think extended slide releases on Glocks. If they want to extablish precedents I believe we should hold them to them.

+5 to Zombie shooting it sure is nice not worrying about whats been done to my gun. 3 to the red cross people and 1 to the blank targets. Simple. Fast. Fun.

Or are we going on the idea that since it's not a permitted modification?

Bingo. The list of permitted mods is an inclusive list. "Conversion from rimmed to rimless ammunition" is a permitted mod in ESR, even though speedloaders can be used there, but it's conspicuously de-listed as a permitted mod in SSR.

Since the OP hadn't done the conversion yet, it seemed germane.

Tom

Some congrats are in order for you Tom, sorry we missed the match, SC Section is what we shot. Master now?

Thanks, John. Wasn't pretty, though. We missed you & Mel. Hope you did ok in SC. I can't seem to find results (USPSA's site is currently squirrelly)

Not enough shooters for a match bump to MA, but I'll re-classify before The Carolina Cup & hope to shoot with y'all.

Tom

I'd go with bad idea based on the fact that the moonclips are very thin for .38/.357 and in the k frame they get even skinnier around the extractor opening.

66 with Shortcolt in speedloaders....good idea...cut them down.

66 with moonclips....making too many trade offs.

What match was this that you shot Tom?.....Nevermind. Tom Becker 2010 NC State SSR champion!...and a nice guy too.

Edited by Forrest Halley

Some congrats are in order for you Tom, sorry we missed the match, SC Section is what we shot. Master now?

Thanks, John. Wasn't pretty, though. We missed you & Mel. Hope you did ok in SC. I can't seem to find results (USPSA's site is currently squirrelly)

Not enough shooters for a match bump to MA, but I'll re-classify before The Carolina Cup & hope to shoot with y'all.

Tom

Don't look up the results from SC Section, suffice it to say I am now CAPTAIN of "Team Suck"

Well if John is Captain of Team SUCK, I must be on Team REALLY SUCK. I shot the whole SC State match at Disabled Granny Speed.

Glockman, I agree with Forest on this one. Go with 38 Short Colt and cut-down speedloaders. The speedloaders are a whole lot cheaper and more "reversible" choice.

Thanks for all the input gents. I believe that Comp III's would be the ones to go for? By cutting them down, do you all mean "Bubberizing"? If so, I can chuck them in a lathe and turn them to a shorter length. I visited the Zombie shooters site and I must say that would be a great idea for a fun shoot out here. Now I gotta look into getting some new speedloaders.

I wish our club out here had some ICORE style matches but the bottom feeders rule the roost.

Thanks for all the input gents. I believe that Comp III's would be the ones to go for? By cutting them down, do you all mean "Bubberizing"? If so, I can chuck them in a lathe and turn them to a shorter length. I visited the Zombie shooters site and I must say that would be a great idea for a fun shoot out here. Now I gotta look into getting some new speedloaders.

I wish our club out here had some ICORE style matches but the bottom feeders rule the roost.

Dang I was just going to suggest either a 38 super cylinder or a 9mm cylinder. The 38 super is doable the nine maybe a little to much. Depnding on how much work your fun is to be....You could cut a 38 super groove in the SC's so you could use the thicker 38 super moonclips. It will make the moons a little more sturdy. When you do this I would suggest to cut the cylinder down so that you would have to use moonclips. And use the sc brass. :sight: Just a thought, not a good one, but a thought. Later rdd

Would love to do whatever I can to get you started in ZSA in Guam. Send me a PM with your mailing address and I'll send you some stuff. As far as speedloaders, I've always used Comp 3's and just borrowed some Jet Loaders from a friend, and I like them better, just my opinion

Yeah that is what I am suggesting. If you cut them with a dremel it's a bit messy, but it works. Beware that the plastic will melt and if gets slung around will burn the hell out of you...think molten lead.

Hell yeah to the Zombie shooting in Guam! You've got to try it, it's really fun and challenging. It will make you better at the other games.

Thanks for the info guys, I will go for the speedloaders and am interested in Zombie shooting, I'll get the info and bring it up to our club committee. I like breaking out the wheelgun simply because I feel it requires more effort on the shooter's part to do well and use it when we have practice matches. I have a 002 holster on the way and hope to mount it to my belt for this weekend. I have my setup in the attachment.

Troy

post-25308-080981800 1305085901_thumb.jp

FWIW if you staring "fresh" buying speedloaders (not buying more of what you've got) consider getting Jetloaders rather than Comp III's. The Jets are easier to trim the body down and if you're using short brass you can trim the center post (trigger) also so short rounds will enter the chambers better.

I'll stick to .38 Special for now and play with that. I was mainly going for moonclipping .38 Short just for the ease of reloading. If I practice with speedloaders and hopefully get proficient with them, I'll starting shooting it against autos in the club. Besides, the initial cost to start with moons and the conversion isn't as attractive as getting some speedloaders and practice time. Do the Jetloaders fit in the "333" carriers? I have those carriers already and would like to minimize the cost of investing in new gear.

Thanks for all the suggestions guys!

Thanks Tom, I will go hunting for those Jetloaders, do they need Bubberizing to make them more reload friendly? Got my 002 holster today too. Things are looking good for my wheelgun fun. :goof:

Edited by Glockman1000

Jetloaders, do they need Bubberizing to make them more reload friendly?

Yes, I shorten the body by .300". There's a crosspin you push out to remove the center post (that depresses to release the rds) don't lose the spring that goes on the center post in the body. Then they're easy to trim down. Nothing sticks out in the way. If you're using short brass and your rds won't start far enough in the chambers before releasing you can shorten the center post also. For rds @ 1.200" oal I shorten the post .125". For normal .38 special the longer post is better but shortened is ok. Have fun.

• 1 year later...
Or are we going on the idea that since it's not a permitted modification?

Bingo. The list of permitted mods is an inclusive list. "Conversion from rimmed to rimless ammunition" is a permitted mod in ESR, even though speedloaders can be used there, but it's conspicuously de-listed as a permitted mod in SSR.

Since the OP hadn't done the conversion yet, it seemed germane.

Tom

From Page 25:

"A. Any revolver of .38 Caliber (.357” or larger) or larger that utilizes ammunition with a rimmed case and is not reloaded with a full moon clip."

This does not DQ a gun if its cut for moon clips. You just can not use moonclips to reload and the ammo used has to be as marked on the gun (or approved alternative). So long as you can use the marked ammo with out moonclips you're ok. The ESR rule you mention is to allow converting to a differnt caliber than marked on the gun (example: 357 mag to use 38 Super).

This is back up by the following rules calification:

"The rules clarification committee has ruled .45 Auto Rim may be shot in SSR with a revolver designed to shoot .45ACP with moonclips. They have also ruled for firearms like the S&W Governor and the Taurus Judge, 45 Long Colt can be used to shoot those firearms in SSR and in ESR with .45ACP using moonclips. The .410 option could be used as a pickup gun on a stage but not as a primary firearm in either SSR or ESR."

Hello all,

I just want to find out if anyone maybe using this type of setup and if it is worth doing. I am looking at having my cylinder cut for moons and investing in some .38 SC brass. All opinions welcome.

Since this is up again, I'll share what i did. I bought a 6" mod 14-7 K frame and had it cut for moons and use starline short colt brass for uspsa. I have a lot of arthritis and it is a nice change from a 625 even at minor. I have a 4 inch 66-4 I had cut for moons as a backup. It is fine for ssr in idpa also (I called hq and was told if using 38's in speed loaders a cyl cut for moons is fine). I have arthritis in almost every other joint also so bending down to chase brass is not in the cards. Picking up a few moons is fine though. Even though I can use 38's w/ spd loaders or 45 auto rim in speed loaders for idpa at a rediculous power factor, I still would rather grin and bear the recoil with a 625 and moons in esr and not have to chase brass. Plus even at major matches you get all the brass back. Going to the range to practice with several hundred loaded moons is a lot more enjoyable (to me anyway) than messing with speed loaders and single rounds. Moons arn't cheap, but with a little care they can last a good while. If you do get your gun setup for moons, don't wory - using ammo w/o the moon clips still works just fine.

• 2 weeks later...

I've cut down my Comp III's as mentioned to .300 from the top, & am trying out Tom E's mention of cutting down .38special brass to .900 from an older post here. I find with this combo, they work really well. Maybe some brass manufacturer should market that brass like how they did the .38 Supercomp. Maybe call it .38 ICORE & base it around the .38 TJ with the same rim as the .38/.357 brass.