Brian Enos's Forums... Maku mozo!

9mm accuracy load w/ Clays

steveumd

Thanks for taking a moment to read my thread.

I am looking for an 9mm accuracy load using a jacketed or plated bullet with Clays powder (I have about 4 lbs. on hand).

Any other recommendations are welcome, clean burning a plus.

Please include bullet, primer, powder, brass, OAL.

Thanks to all who reply.

Most people I've talked to haven't had very good accuracy with Clays, in 9mm.

Titegroup, or VVN320 behind a 125 grain bullet, or, 320 behind a 147.

I've been using Clays for a while now and like it quite a bit. It's cheap, calls for low powder loads, clean burning and soft shooting, what's there not to like? Not as hot burning as TiteGroup, that is a big plus for those who shoot lead - less smoke.

I shot 4500rds without cleaning the gun, just light oiling (Mobil 1 10w30) every 500rds - not a single issue (I careless if you don't believe me).

Gun- 2008 CZ SP-01 Shadow (factory, not Custom or anything, I did some work on it myself thou).

Bullet - Berry's 124gr RNDS. Nice bullet, consistent and accurate. I'm sold on those and buy them 10K at a time ($68/1000 before tax, local pickup).

OAL- 1.12". You can load longer with non-CZ gun/s.

Powder- Clays, 3.6gr. PF 129.

Primer- Federal SPP. It get's flattened but if you use CCI - no flattening.

Brass- mixed.

The round I crank out is more accurate than many (if not most) shooters are.

Cheers!

Edited by CeeZer

I used to run Clays behind a 124gr bullet for a while (about two years) and the recoil impulse is negligible. Accurate wise, it was OK but not spectacular (about 3" group at 25 yds rested). I later discovered that I could achieve a considerably smaller group size by switching to a different powder. I decided to shoot WSF behind the same bullet and achieved much better results so I ditched the Clays in favor of better accuracy.

WSF does produce a little bit more perceived but, truth be told, not enough to make me want to go back to Clays.

I've been using Clays for a while now and like it quite a bit. It's cheap, calls for low powder loads, clean burning and soft shooting, what's there not to like? Not as hot burning as TiteGroup, that is a big plus for those who shoot lead - less smoke.

I shot 4500rds without cleaning the gun, just light oiling (Mobil 1 10w30) every 500rds - not a single issue (I careless if you don't believe me).

Gun- 2008 CZ SP-01 Shadow (factory, not Custom or anything, I did some work on it myself thou).

Bullet - Berry's 124gr RNDS. Nice bullet, consistent and accurate. I'm sold on those and buy them 10K at a time ($68/1000 before tax, local pickup).

OAL- 1.12". You can load longer with non-CZ gun/s.

Powder- Clays, 3.6gr. PF 129.

Primer- Federal SPP. It get's flattened but if you use CCI - no flattening.

Brass- mixed.

The round I crank out is more accurate than many (if not most) shooters are.

Cheers!

I had good luck with Clays in my Shadow too - loaded 3.8 gr. under Zero 124gr. FMJ's. Nice, accurate, soft shooting. Like you said,flattens Federal primers. When I used Winchester primers, had no flattening issues. I've since switched to VV N320, which I also like. But when I run out of that, I'm betting I go back to Clays, just because of lower cost and greater availability.

Clays is a little too fast for 9mm if you are aiming for accuracy and 130pf, if you are flattenning out Federals then the pressures are a little too high.

Try TG when the N320 runs dry, simialr characteristics as N320 but made in the US and not out of order on price. I looked at Intl Clay and found it OK, but TG was better.