Brian Enos's Forums... Maku mozo!

CR Speed Versa Pouch-- Toothpick/Shim

Sin-ster

Just got the CR Belt and Pouches, and started doing some fitting. I've got the right mag shim in place, got the cant exactly how I want it, and got them spaced properly on the belt. Tomorrow, the Velcro backing will be installed on the belt loops to help lock the whole thing together.

While they are pretty darn tight on the belt (and I'm guessing the additional velcro will lock them in), there's still a little bit of play that I'd like to eliminate. I figured out pretty quickly that the little 2" toothpick was to take up all the slack between the belt and the pouch. But I'm running into a problem.

On the flat surface of the belt shim (where it would contact the pouch's belt loop), there is a little post/cylinder/nub of plastic-- about the diameter of a small roll pin. It simply will not go past the edge of the belt loop. Extra force actually makes it more of a problem, as it flattens out and gets a bit taller.

I'm considering shaving/sanding the lead edge a into a wedge shape so that it'll go in-- or removing that little scrap of plastic altogether. As I'd like to avoid going the set screw route (not too handy with the screw gun), I wanted to see if anyone else had some tips/tricks that would eliminate removing material. Or at the very least, see if anyone else had done some custom fitting of their own and still managed to keep the toothpick in place after the belt wore in a little bit. I'd hate to shave that sucker off to get it to fit, only to find it's no longer tight enough once the outer belt wears in a bit.

Did your pouches come with the toothpicks, or did you have to buy them separately?

I ask because I just got 3 pouches from shooters connection and there were no toothpicks in the package.

Thanks,

Steve

They came with toothpicks. I got them from a local guy (GM no less) as individual units, but priced more like the 5-pack that's out there.

I picked up the Velcro today, although I'm torn again as to which I should use. Snagged some super-maxi-ultra-industrial strength stuff ( :roflol: ), and the plain ol' standard use as well. I feel like the heavy duty might wear out the inner belt a bit faster, as it seems intended for something that goes up and stays that way (for the sake of not damaging the mounting surface/material with other fasteners). Going to do a bit of research before making the final choice, but I'll probably stick to the regular grade and if it doesn't work as I hope, I'll switch it out for the good stuff.

I'm kind of surprised no one else has run into this problem. I have the standard Hi-Torque CR Speed Belt, and not the new one that I hear is a bit wider. Unless I'm a complete 'tard and I'm trying to set the toothpicks up the wrong way, someone else has to have run into this before.

Just sand it down until it'll fit. If you have a newer CR Speed belt, the pouches are extremely tight once you get the little shim in there. I literally had to get my shims in with a (small!) hammer. On my older (ca. 2004) belt the pouches were a little loose even with the shims, but on this new one they are not moving come hell or high water.

Indeed, I sanded the little cylinder/post and used the flat head of a screw driver to put a slope on the lead edge. Went into place with a lot of effort; I'm pretty sure they're going to stick around for a while. Coupled with the velcro I'm about to put on the rear of the belt loop, I'd be very surprised if they moved at all.

Now I just have decide which of these two velcro types to use.

I use the "industrial strength" self-adhesive Velcro they sell at Walmart. The adhesive has failed me a couple of times though, so if you really want it to be permanent just super-glue it on.