Brian Enos's Forums... Maku mozo!

Building outdoors dry-fire range with wood targets.

Hello,

Since I got Anderson's book on dry-fire I have been working on an outdoor range with full size wooden targets. I am looking for suggestions on how well I should define the scoring zones. FYI, I am just a beginner.

Thank You

Patrick Scott

Years ago I took some old plywood and cut 3 full size target from it. Then I took a piece of cardboard to my paint store and got matching brown paint and painted them. I cut the A zones out of a target and used this to trace the upper and lower A zone with a Black Sharpie. They came out great. At a couple yards you could not tell they were solid wood. I did't bother with C & D zone tracing. I'll try to post a pic of one.

I see where you are comming from, but I have space to set up a range that will alow me to just walk outside and get right into practice. I wont have to use any time for setting up, and with kids my practice time is limited. The wood(marine plywood) should last very well outside.

http://i1115.photobucket.com/albums/k543/fourtrax08/c56789b7.jpg

Here is a pic of one of mine. The A zone outline is faded but easily fixed with a Sharpie. I thought it was nice to leave everything outside rain or shine. Yes, I had some expense in the outdoor paint, but to me, well worth it. I had the plywood laying around and it was not marine grade, so that saved me a little money.

Thanks for the pic, looks good. I recently re-decked my boat, the old decking was not in as bad shape as I thought so pretty much my marine grade stuff was free. I hate being a pack rat, but sometimes it comes in handy.

c56789b7.jpg

This is a mistake post, I meant a different pic, oh well. Anyways, I screwed the sticks on permanent and I want to say 4'10" positioned at the bottom shoulder angle gets you the standard target height of 5' at the shoulders. Hope your project comes out great.

Plus, that thing has been in the weather dang near 4 years!! You'd think I'd be a GM by now!!! Lol

Edited by fourtrax