Brian Enos's Forums... Maku mozo!

Looking to buy revolver

Waz

I know this is a can of worms, but I would like your opinion on what type of revolver would be best suited for USPSA & why.

I was looking at a few different S&W's 686 SSR, V-comp & 327 M&P.

Any help on this subject would be greatly appreciated.

Thnaks

I agree with Mike.

But why limit it to USPSA. Look for ICORE, IDPA (4" barrel limit), Steel, Pin and Plate Shoots in your area.

Each has different rules but just hit what you are aiming at and you'll be fine.

The 625 will still the best choice as a starting point.

I know this is a can of worms, but I would like your opinion on what type of revolver would be best suited for USPSA & why.

I was looking at a few different S&W's 686 SSR, V-comp & 327 M&P.

Any help on this subject would be greatly appreciated.

Thnaks

686 SSR: will need to be moonclipped and will be scoring minor unless you're brave enough for a blasty .357 major load. Moonclips are expensive and brass specific. Gun's legal in all other games.

V-comp: Cool gun no doubt. Will put you in open with the 30shot .38 supers. 8 cartridges are slower to load than six. Too long for IDPA and you'd have to take off the comp. Oh yeah shoot more than six before reloading and its off to open.

327 M&P: Slower to reload than a six and lighter than the v comp. Again the open bump risk. Again the blasty major loads.

For USPSA? Find a 5" S&W 625. Don't get a .357 and don't get an 8-shot.

Mike Carmoney is an awesome gunsmith. I've never used him, but seen and shot against his work and it is top notch. Also a very helpful indvidual who has coached me through some projects of my own. He's a Master level revolver shooter at the top of his game....current% matches high%. Also going to Greece to represent the U.S.A. at the world shoot.

Bio aside, what he's getting at is that the 5" 625 has great balance, reloads easiest/fastest of all moonclipped calibers, and is chambered in an easy cartidge to make major power factor in.

Consider GMM50's comment about what games are available in your area. The 4" is not far off and is legal for all disciplines including blue barrel fishing and camera enthusiasts...aka IDPA.

Good luck in your search and welcome to the Revolver Brotherhood.

+1 to Mitch.. a 625 didn't make sense to me since I already had two other platforms in 40.. 45 brass can get pricey and since the bullets for the 45 are heavier (in general) they will cost more.. The 40 (actually 10 mm) can be had in a longer barrel length (3 7/8 and 6 1/2") than the 45 and I find the longer tube to dampen recoil better than the 5" 625. Heavier gun, less recoil for the PF, faster recovery after the shot.