Brian Enos's Forums... Maku mozo!

Going from lead to jacketed

ParaGunner

I tried searching but couldn't find anything. I have been shooting 200grn lead bullets and I'm switching to 200grn jacketed bullets. How much more should I expect to use for jacketed? I can't find much data anywhere on this for 40s&w. Any help would be greatly appreciated.

Hey Roy, I shot with you a couple times now at the Miamisburg Sunday matches. I would start out with the same load and then work up .1 grain at a time and see how that does over a chrono. I just started loading 40 last week with a 185 precision bullet and I started at the low end and worked up. I ran them on the chrono Monday and was surprised at the powder needed in my XDm 40 when comparing to other guns on here. Remember not to go over the max listed for that bullet and powder combo. I went from 4.4 of W231 up to 4.8 and 4.8 is what I need to load. 5.0 is the max for W231 for this bullet from what I can find in different reloading books.

What powder are you using?

Chris

I'm also using Win231 powder and my overall length is 1.18 I finally found some data for 200grn bullets in a 40s&w and there was a 1 grain difference in powder between lead and jacketed. I'm just trying to geet a feel of how much powder increase is needed to hit the same power factor as I was getting with lead. I am going to try and work up a load this weekend. Oh wait,Im working 12 hour shifts all weekend :angry2:

I'm also using Win231 powder and my overall length is 1.18 I finally found some data for 200grn bullets in a 40s&w and there was a 1 grain difference in powder between lead and jacketed. I'm just trying to geet a feel of how much powder increase is needed to hit the same power factor as I was getting with lead. I am going to try and work up a load this weekend. Oh wait,Im working 12 hour shifts all weekend :angry2:

I will pick up your gun and chrono and let you know how it works out :)