Brian Enos's Forums... Maku mozo!

Rattled

de03x7

The range that we shoot matches on is about 50 yards wide and we set up 2 stages at a time. We spilt into two squads and one squad will run the right stage the the other will run the left. After both squads have finished their stages everyone goes down range to score and tape/reset. This weekend I was the first shooter on the second squad. The first squad had shot and given the range is clear command. The RO for me announced going hot and gave me the make ready command. The timmer sounded and I moved to the left and engaged 4 targets around a baricade then moved toward the right side of the baricade engaging two targets as I was moving to the end. As I get to the end of the wall and get ready to engage the third target on that side I see movement on the other course. I stop and the RO who had not seen the person down range on the other course asked why I was stopping. I pointed out the guy who was moving back up range rather quickly for a 65-70 year old. I was given a reshoot but I was rattled the rest of the match. I doubt that the rounds I fired were even close to the guy as the courses are set so rounds from one will not enter the other. I know that I lost a lot of time on the two courses that had baricades on them because I would look down range instead of just moving from target to target. The guy who was down range is nearly deaf without hearing protection on so throw plugs in and I guess he didn't even hear the shots on the other side of the range. How do I get this out of my head for the next match? I've only been shooting in matches since last fall and this is only my fifth or sixth match where there were baricades in place. All winter we shot on an indoor range where all movement is left or right and there is no place for someone to get beyond the firing line.

Take some comfort in that you had good enough awareness that you picked up on the fact that there was somebody on the other course of fire. Many of us (well, at least I do) can get a form of tunnel vision where too much is tuned out. And, of course, it was the RO's (at least two, one for each COF, right?) failing not to be sure all was clear.

Good for you. Maintain your awareness - good for safety, good for your shooting.

Edited by kevin c

Scary man....safety first!

Why would the RO call "range is clear" if you're about to shoot. Might check into that.

I'd ask for better coordination/cooperation in that situation.

When the first squad gets done shooting and the gun is holstered they will give the range is clear command to let the second squad know that they can proceed. The second squad RO will then give a going hot command and that course will be shot. This has not been a problem in the past as far as I know. The guy was not down range when I started the course but had gone down while I was shooting. I really think it is time for this guy to give up shooting as he has been DQed for breaking the 180, got away with firing a shot into the ceiling at the indoor range and several times this winter he got to the line and when told to make ready his gun was laying on the safety table. I plan to talk to the club president about this shooter. My wife was uncomfortable enough that she would live the firing area at the indoor range when he was shooting. My daughter, after shooting steel last summer, has taken an interest in USPSA and shot her first match this past weekend. I don't want to have to worry about her safety due to issues with this shooter.

Scary man....safety first!

Why would the RO call "range is clear" if you're about to shoot. Might check into that.

I'd ask for better coordination/cooperation in that situation.

When the first squad gets done shooting and the gun is holstered they will give the range is clear command to let the second squad know that they can proceed. The second squad RO will then give a going hot command and that course will be shot. This has not been a problem in the past as far as I know. The guy was not down range when I started the course but had gone down while I was shooting. I really think it is time for this guy to give up shooting as he has been DQed for breaking the 180, got away with firing a shot into the ceiling at the indoor range and several times this winter he got to the line and when told to make ready his gun was laying on the safety table. I plan to talk to the club president about this shooter. My wife was uncomfortable enough that she would live the firing area at the indoor range when he was shooting. My daughter, after shooting steel last summer, has taken an interest in USPSA and shot her first match this past weekend. I don't want to have to worry about her safety due to issues with this shooter.

Gotcha, I was a little confused then.

I've seen that very situation first hand. It's good they still want to shoot, but it's like the whole driving license thing. Feeble person passes the test, then run thru the DMV office with the car. But, cars have brakes, bullets don't. Thats a tough one man. :(

Good job. It might help your nerves if you get into the habit of being the last guy downrange before you shoot, so you know the stage is clear for yourself. Same goes if there are two stages in one bay, just make sure.

It's not even about not trusting your RO, it's about redundancy, four eyes better than two, all that.