Brian Enos's Forums... Maku mozo!

RL 550b OAL consistency

I've been using a Redding competition seating die now for a couple of months. Highly recommend it. You will see your variances tighten up a lot.

I also like the Redding taper die better than the Dillon. No matter how tight you make it, it doesn't look like a roll crimp.

Neat thing about the Redding seater die is changing between different bullets is a snap with the micrometer.

I've been using a Redding competition seating die now for a couple of months. Highly recommend it. You will see your variances tighten up a lot.

I also like the Redding taper die better than the Dillon. No matter how tight you make it, it doesn't look like a roll crimp.

Neat thing about the Redding seater die is changing between different bullets is a snap with the micrometer.

Ya I think I'm sold on the idea.

I was able to get my variance down to .005 by tightening my tool head up with cut feeler gauges. All of my tool heads are tighter or looser than others. It was very loose tightening it made a world of difference. I also am seating off the tip by using the wad cutter side of the plug for both 9mm and .40. I'm loading round nose 9mm and flat point .40 and it seems to work better.

I also am seating off the tip by using the wad cutter side of the plug for both 9mm and .40. I'm loading round nose 9mm and flat point .40 and it seems to work better.

Keep an eye out for round nose bullets to seat crooked using the wadcutter insert. To me it sounds like if the wadcutter insert helps with oal then the problem was almost certainly inconsistantly shaped bullets.

• 1 month later...

I also am seating off the tip by using the wad cutter side of the plug for both 9mm and .40. I'm loading round nose 9mm and flat point .40 and it seems to work better.

Keep an eye out for round nose bullets to seat crooked using the wadcutter insert. To me it sounds like if the wadcutter insert helps with oal then the problem was almost certainly inconsistantly shaped bullets.

I think your right! I guess now I need to find a good deal on some new bullets. Seems I loaded and shot the 1000 Rainier 115gr I had and the 1000 .40 rainier 165 gr bullets I had. Thats fine I wanted 124gr and 180gr bullets anyway. I love reloading and am bummed out I ran out of bullets already. Thanks everyone for all your help. :cheers:

On set up tighten the shell plate till it's a little tight to turn, set the locking set screw. Then I'll back off the center bolt very little at a time till the shell plate turns free. Using a Lee first stage carbide sizer, I'll set it so a strip of paper between the sizer and the shell plate will pull out with drag with tension down on the operating handle.

Had problems with OAL in 9mm minor using heavy 147-160 bullets. The insert in the seating die was hitting the sides of the bullet and the sides varied.

I'm using a Lee die set in my machine, removed the insert from the seating die and had a friend, machinist make a insert that was flat so the seating die only hit the nose or tip of the bullet. Using Dillon spray lube, I make sure just a little got inside the case. I might help also to open the powder funnel, belling die.

I'm real happy if I can keep OAL to .0003, 0005 is OK.

On set up tighten the shell plate till it's a little tight to turn, set the locking set screw. Then I'll back off the center bolt very little at a time till the shell plate turns free. Using a Lee first stage carbide sizer, I'll set it so a strip of paper between the sizer and the shell plate will pull out with drag with tension down on the operating handle.

Had problems with OAL in 9mm minor using heavy 147-160 bullets. The insert in the seating die was hitting the sides of the bullet and the sides varied.

I'm using a Lee die set in my machine, removed the insert from the seating die and had a friend, machinist make a insert that was flat so the seating die only hit the nose or tip of the bullet. Using Dillon spray lube, I make sure just a little got inside the case. I might help also to open the powder funnel, belling die.

I'm real happy if I can keep OAL to .0003, 0005 is OK.

Heck, that close? .ooo3 I wish!

• 1 year later...

I've just discovered the same problem loading Berry's 147 9mm's. I'm aiming for 1.145 and am getting anywhere from 1.138-1.154. I've only ever shot MG's and never seen this before. But I'm shooting SS now and loading 147's for that. I've been loading for 20 years, always on Dillon equipment. RL550, Dillon dies. Shellplate, seater plug and die, everything checks out. Bullets tend to run only .001 variance or so. I called Berry's, they're stumped too. The longer rounds end up with a Nipple looking thingy on top from the center hole in the seater plug, but only the longer ones. RN plug end is being used. :unsure: