Brian Enos's Forums... Maku mozo!

Current state of 308 ammo?

technetium-99m

I generally don't even think about buying factory ammo and when I get a new gun I just assume I'm going to load ammo for it.

I stumbled on Pat Kelley's article about surplus 308 ammo and I've got a question for you 308 guys.

Is surplus 308 still as readily available? I'm not really finding much from my usual online vendors, but maybe I'm not looking in the right places.

Are the heavy metal shooters loading their own right now or buying factory?

Figuring my loaded ammo is costing between 0.31 - 0.33 cents a round right now and I'm not finding anything else that comes close to that.

Edited by technetium-99m

I have done some extensive net surfing for .308 ammo and have found several mil. surplus for 50cents/rd give or take some pennies and shipping costs. The only ammo that is well under the 50cent mark is brown bear. If anyone has a line on something better let me know.

I figure close to the same as you do for hand rolled rounds with a 20cent per round savings over the cheapest mil surp rounds, ($200 per 1000 rounds) reloading is still the way to go. Some people judge what their time is worth, but when it's -30 and snowing in January I am plenty happy using my time at the reloading bench.