Brian Enos's Forums... Maku mozo!

Thinking of getting a MacBook Pro...have some newb questions

Chills1994

well...that was a big pain in the butt today.

I had to go through some hoops to download the drivers for a printer today.

It is an HP Color LaserJet 1600. I have had it in sitting in its box, brand new, for the past 4 years. I finally opened up the box today...errr...Friday.

And then one website for the drivers mentioned something about not being able to print in color. So I tried to jump through those hoops too...something about going to "root" and entering my password.

:wacko:

Jeesh...I gave up on that. I have version 10.6.4, and I guess the websites haven't caught up yet on all things I am supposed to click on or type in.

:blink:

• Replies 54
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

Posted Images

oh...yeah.... One of the things Apple goofed up on is that they put the two USB ports side by side. They are so close together that I have to remove my air card so I can insert the printer's USB cord.

There probably are some short USB cords I could use, that are skinnier where they plug into the laptop, but I haven't looked yet.

oh...yeah.... One of the things Apple goofed up on is that they put the two USB ports side by side. They are so close together that I have to remove my air card so I can insert the printer's USB cord.

There probably are some short USB cords I could use, that are skinnier where they plug into the laptop, but I haven't looked yet.

Whip out your pocket knife and trim the molded plastic off the plug.

There are. Sometimes the manufacturer of the fat plugin device is considerate enough to include such a cord because they know that'll happen.

well...that was a big pain in the butt today.

I had to go through some hoops to download the drivers for a printer today.

It is an HP Color LaserJet 1600. ...

No warranties implied or expressed, but a thread I found says the laserjet 2600 is very much the same as the 1600. There are mac drivers for it here on the HP website. Maybe try that?

I knew I'd have this same sort of hassle with my old printers before getting the first mac (not even going to bother with the lj1012 or 1020, even though they've served well for years), so I went to the hp website and they were running an excellent deal of pretty much half off the printer I wanted, a laserjet p1606dn network printer, list $199, I got for $116 shipped. It's small enough I can take it to major matches and everyone in my computer room can then happily connect to it and download drivers directly from it's own internal website. Mac drivers on cd, and it works both with os x and the small windows 7 prof that I have running on the mac under vmware fusion for the SOLE REASON of running ezwinscore on the mac.