Brian Enos's Forums... Maku mozo!

Quick change conversion costs between LNL and 650

Bayou

New reloader and have been reading for the last several weeks/couple months and deciding on a LNL or 650. I know there is ton of threads and I've read alot of them but my question pertains to the cost of doing quick change outs on both machines. Wanting to use the press for multiple calibers and want a case feeder. See if I'm getting this right or what I'm missing

Dillon 650:

Conversion kits---76.95

Quick change---101.95

plus dies

LNL:

shell plates--40.72

Bushings 3 pack---18.45

case activated lower assembly---30

case activated powder die---11.37

I guess I would need an extra Powder measure---93.25-------one for pistol and one for rifle

What about switching between large and small primers and powder bars? Thanks for any help

Edited by Bayou

First buy the 10 packs of bushings. I have only paid about $28.00 for shell plates, and they are often on E-Bay. I think that the current packaging comes with both the rifle and pistol insert for the powder measure so its not necessary to buy more than one powder measure. The LNL is less expensive for multiple calibers and makes some sense with 4 or 5 different calibers. The down side is that Quick change is not that quick when it comes to the Case Feeder and its small parts. When I switch calibers on mine it takes me about 100 rounds into the new caliber to get the case feeder adjustment just right. Also you will need to adjust the powder measure a bit as well as the PTX limiter. You can get extra inserts for the powder measure which give you the abiltiy to set one for each load and just switch it and not have to adjust the powder each time, just weigh a couple and press on.

On the Dillon, I don't use quick change, that is for folks that got more money than the know what to do with. I have a tool head set for each caliber and also a powder die, which stays with the other die on the tool head. Some calibers don't need a caliber conversion like 38Super to 9 mm, and on other yes a caliber change kit. The upside to the Dillon is that there just isn't any adjustment on the case feed and it works reliably. Since you have the powder die already adjusted its just a matter of setting the powder charge which takes a few thows once you learn the system.

When you boil down the cost the Dillon and the LNL are about the same price, and as you point out it costs a little less for caliber changes.

Stop while there is still time....................... I now have a 650 dedicated to large primer and a 650 dedicated to small primer. I change tool heads and don't need to re-adjust anything. The large to small primer swap on a 650 is not awful but finding a 2nd machine at a good deal made it a moot point. I still have my first progressive, a Dillon 550B, that is now dedicated to .223 AR stuff. I don't bash the LNL... Cant comment as I have never loaded on one.

If your wanting to swap calibers alot, skip the case feeder and go with the 550. Very easy to swap over calibers and tons of them out there

I've spent weeks sawing telephone poles into 8 foot lengths with a 2 man saw, but I prefer a good gas powered chain saw and can cut the same number of poles in a day. I've loaded on a 550, but my preferece would be a LNL even without the case feeder.

On a per caliber cost basis the LNL will win every time. Caliber changes with case feeder the Dillon wins the time race When it comes down to rounds per hour the Dillon XL650 will out produce the LNL. I average about 2k per month and spend about 3 hours loading. (bullet feeders). Small runs and load development on the LNL, all out production on the Dillon. The low speed on the Dillon case feeder is totally useless. You can always get your money back out of a Dillon the LNL does not have that kind of resale, so if you get one plan on keeping it.

It amazing we worry so much about a few dollars, then order up a $300 case of bullets and pump them thru card board into a dirt berm, with a $5000 gun. Pick your color and go for it.

Edited by CocoBolo

Well I know I want a 650 or LNL w/case feeder was just trying to look at quick caliber change costs. Would a 550 be more in line with I need, yes but like I was telling a friend a couple weeks ago on new pistol purchases is that wants and needs are different. I do believe after many lessons I learned that it'd better to buy once/cry once. I have never reloaded but I know that I would enjoy it and everyone has hobbies that are expensive. Was just looking at caliber change costs and what could be saved. The cost of the 650 w/case feeder over the LNL/case feeder does not bother me, I'm not made of money but I tend to by what I want quality wise. If the caliber cost are not much more than the LNL I will buy Dillon. I also don't want to grossly (proper spelling?) over pay but But I also don't want to take forever changing calibers when a little more money spent could quiken the change over. 10-20 minutes change over is not much in my mind but 3--40 minutes would be, not that I think either would take that long. I would mainly be changing from 9mm, 223, 308 and 45, 40, 22-250 down the road. I want a press that I will have/use for 20-30 years, maybe less or more depending on the big guy.

Edited by Bayou