Brian Enos's Forums... Maku mozo!

Swaro Z6i BRT Ballistic program?

FishingFool

Actually I wanted to know if anyone had already done the work. I just started loading .223 so I figured I'd take the easy route and start with a load that someone else trusted. Pat seems to shoot the crap outta his stuff I figured he'd have a full breakdown already.

Thanks Doug for the 170 yard zero it does what I want on paper. I want to be able to use a line specifically for 500 yards rather than holding between two marks. At closer ranges the mark being slightly off is not as big of a deal. I find it harder to shoot consistently when I have to hold between two marks at longer ranges.

77grainN135load170yard0.jpg

Another cool thing is my 55 grain load when zeroed at 100 yards works pretty close.

55grainVmax100yard0.jpg

Edited by Alaskapopo

Thanks Doug for the 170 yard zero it does what I want on paper. I want to be able to use a line specifically for 500 yards rather than holding between two marks. At closer ranges the mark being slightly off is not as big of a deal. I find it harder to shoot consistently when I have to hold between two marks at longer ranges.

Another cool thing is my 55 grain load when zeroed at 100 yards works pretty close.

55grainVmax100yard0.jpg

I noticed that you just printed this! Is there any way you can send the program to me. I can't believe Swaro updated their program and didn't include the Z6 1-6 BRT reticle in the update!

Send me a pm or e-mail if you can help me out. I have the Ballistic FTE program on my iTouch, so I know my holdover in Mils, but I really prefer the printout. When I go into panic mode at my match next week when trying to shoot at long range, the reticle picture will be easier for my brain to process.

55grainVmax100yard0.jpg

I noticed that you just printed this! Is there any way you can send the program to me. I can't believe Swaro updated their program and didn't include the Z6 1-6 BRT reticle in the update!

Send me a pm or e-mail if you can help me out. I have the Ballistic FTE program on my iTouch, so I know my holdover in Mils, but I really prefer the printout. When I go into panic mode at my match next week when trying to shoot at long range, the reticle picture will be easier for my brain to process.

I put the link in my post here it is again. Its working.

http://ballisticprograms.swarovskioptik.com/prev/

Pat that Vmax load is money! Thanks bro.

And I'm hoping 600 where the skinny post turns into the fat post.

Just so you know that is a handload I made because the bullets were on a half price sale. I was not trying to work up a super load. Here are the results in my Noveske.

55 grain Hornady V match 25.5 grains of H335 CCI primers

1. 2965

2. 3031

3. 2993

4. 2976

5. 3005

Average 2988 spread 55

Accuracy 1.173

55grainsoftpoints.jpg

55grainVmaxinNoveske.jpg

I've worked pretty hard at finding a load to work on my rifle and the Z6i to have best accuracy as well as have intuitive holdovers the BRT reticle. My rifle is an 18" JP (1:8 twist).

Best for me is 24.5 gr Varget, 77 gr SMK with OAL 2.255. I used the Swaro ballistic calculator, and then empirically tested it. I zero at 170, first line is 300, first dot is 400, second line is 475. The holdovers are easy to remember.

I also wanted a 55 gr load that behaved with similar holdovers on the Z6i. I ended up with 24.1 gr Varget, 55 gr Hornady FMJ-BT. I use the same holdovers out to 300 yards - the actual POI is about 3" higher than the SMKs at 400 yards, but if I'm shooting that range I won't be using 55s anyway.

Hope this helps. The Z6i is a fabulous optic.

I've worked pretty hard at finding a load to work on my rifle and the Z6i to have best accuracy as well as have intuitive holdovers the BRT reticle. My rifle is an 18" JP (1:8 twist).

Best for me is 24.5 gr Varget, 77 gr SMK with OAL 2.255. I used the Swaro ballistic calculator, and then empirically tested it. I zero at 170, first line is 300, first dot is 400, second line is 475. The holdovers are easy to remember.

I also wanted a 55 gr load that behaved with similar holdovers on the Z6i. I ended up with 24.1 gr Varget, 55 gr Hornady FMJ-BT. I use the same holdovers out to 300 yards - the actual POI is about 3" higher than the SMKs at 400 yards, but if I'm shooting that range I won't be using 55s anyway.

Hope this helps. The Z6i is a fabulous optic.

It helps tremendously except that I'm not currently loading with Varget. What is your muzzle velocity on the 55gr Hornady out of that 18" JP?

In theory 3000 fps with the 55 gr Hornady will give you 170 yd zero, 300 first line, 400 first dot on the Z6i. This matched the holdovers for my 2710 fps 77g SMKs. In the real world I found 2800 fps on the 55s is was what it took on my gun. I wouldn't have bothered working up the load except I shoot both 77s and 55s. Once I got a 77 load that I liked, I worked on the load on the 55s. I guess I'd suggest start at the theoretical 3000 fps and see what happens. In my case I found the POI consistently too high at the 400 holdover so worked down. Hope this helps.