Brian Enos's Forums... Maku mozo!

AR Carbine advise

RickBunn

I have an Oly Arms AR Service rifle with a Fulton Armory free floating handguard, great shooter, I also have an Fulton Armory Predator which shoots (off the bench) well within an MOA. I would now like to add a carbine to my collection as a fun shooter, but I would like something that is short, quick and accurate. My original thought was the FA Phantom Carbine, but lots here on the forum tell me that there are better options. I really don't care about all the STUFF you can hang on the rails, but I would like to go with both iron sights and the ability to bolt on optics. Would like to have a 16" tube. Other then that, I confess to being lost.

Regards

Rick Bunn

Alexandria, VA

i had the phantom few years ago, was very happy with it. it all depends what you want, to me the only problem was i could not get it in a mid lenght gas system.

not sure what you mean about a 16 tube? but the 12.5" JP rifle tube looks great on the 16" barrel.

I have an Oly Arms AR Service rifle with a Fulton Armory free floating handguard, great shooter, I also have an Fulton Armory Predator which shoots (off the bench) well within an MOA. I would now like to add a carbine to my collection as a fun shooter, but I would like something that is short, quick and accurate. My original thought was the FA Phantom Carbine, but lots here on the forum tell me that there are better options. I really don't care about all the STUFF you can hang on the rails, but I would like to go with both iron sights and the ability to bolt on optics. Would like to have a 16" tube. Other then that, I confess to being lost.

Regards

Rick Bunn

Alexandria, VA

http://www.class3weapons.com/Rock_River_Arms_Operator2_s/122.htm

Regards

Rick Bunn

Alexandria, VA

Rick,

There are a lot of options and "better" can mean a lot of things to a lot folks. For a CAR I got a S&W M&P 15 OR (optics Ready) put on some flip up sights and a cheap BSA red dot on a riser so the sights are co-indexed. It's not a free float forearm, doesn't have any rails, and its a short gas tube. But the 6 position stock works well and the M4 feed ramps are well done. I've used it for reduced range 3-gun (out to 75 yards) and general shooting. I've not benched tested it so I can't comment on its best accuracy but I have no problem getting good hits. It's fairly light and handles well. Its a cheap rig but works for me.

You can spend a lot more and get a lot more tricks - its all about what you want.

Good luck,

BTW, I have a RRA NM Service Rifle and have been impressed with it, I'm sure a RRA would also serve your needs.

Edited by Rob Tompkins

I have the over priced Colt 9mm with the ugly handle. But after mounting a forward low handle mount and a Cmore dot Im able to use both the dot and iron's very well. Sorry Rick Somehow I got the ideal the O.P was about pistol calibers.

post-31047-072348800 1303309586_thumb.jp

Edited by kellymc

Look at the RRA Operstor series, basic rifles without the extras and they were running a special on them, I have any Elite Car A4 and love it, I put the Dominator2 mount for an EOTech on mine, looks right over the frount sight, only problem with RRA is that they are out 60-90 days if you can't find a dealer that has one, but it is well worth the wait

The above post about the S&W MP15 was good advice based on your description of what you are looking for. They are avail (at least in my area) at very reasonable prices. To fit what you describe, just add your favorite BUIS rear and there you go. Rock River builds good stuff at only slightly higher prices, the only downside is trying to find what you want in stock. While they are not race guns, both shoot into minute of target all day long, and have good customer support in the event of a problem. I have a 10.5 inch SBR Rock River that runs anytime, all the time.