Brian Enos's Forums... Maku mozo!

New XL650 Setup

Have been using a 550 for close to 10 years and have been very happy with it. I am shooting more and more these days and I decided that I needed more production out of my press. I have ordered an XL 650 with case feeder and Mr Bulletfeeder so hopefully I can really pound out some .45 now in less time. Reloading has always been a means to an end to shoot and not a hobby per say. I am excited about being able to crank out good rounds faster and spend less time at the bench. Anyways I have all my dies from my 550 which will fit in the 650 but I was wondering if it's worth it to get a seat/crimp die so I can put a put a powder measure station in, or just stick with what I have and not use the powder measure station? With the auto indexing it should really reduce the chance of double charges.

I plan on using my 550 to load out .308 and .223 now. I don't think I need to do anything to it to be able to do rifle right?

Powder check die is nice. It has stopped a few problems over the years. Ref using your 550 for rifle work you are on the right track. It will work great. You also don't need to get a caliber conversion kit for the 550 for .308 if you already have a .45 setup for the 550. The .45 plate and pins works great for any case with the .308 size base. I started progressive years ago with the 550 and still have it set up, it does .223 full time now.