Brian Enos's Forums... Maku mozo!

New Sig P226 Elite Owner

skdmrklcy

I just traded away some stuff and ended up with a new Sig P226 Elite that I want to use in IDPA and USPSA. I was going to order some more mags for it but then I see the Mec-Gar stuff is well received as well. Should I just stick with factory 15s or Mec-Gar 18s? are only the 15s legal as they are made by Sig. I know it is only 10 limit but if I am going to buy them, I see no reason to get 10s.

If I change grips to a different set as long as they do not create a mag well and do not change the grip profile.. they are ok correct? Reading the rule book it seems to be the case but I want to make sure I am not misreading.

I also need to order a holster but I think I am going to try a black-hawk, I tried my ccw instructors out and I really liked it. I may see what other paddle holster are out as well.

This was a total impulse buy but I bought my wife a Mosquito and have been thinking of picking of a 226 for awhile.

First off, I cannot speak to anything IDPA, only USPSA.

Mec-Gar magazines are fine for USPSA production divisions. The only restrictions is fitting into the box when in the gun.

Mec-Gar makes the magazines for Sig, the only difference is the Sig logo and, in some cases, the finish. I guess the fact that Mec-Gar's are about half or less the price is also a big difference. Try Greg Cote for magazines. Great service and prices.

You are correct on the grips, no magwell type extension for production division. Replacement grip panels are OK.

For a holster I would recommend looking at the Blade-Tech DOH before you buy the Black Hawk. Especially if the Black Hawk has the level 2 retention.

Hope this is helpful.

Bill

It does help a lot, I found out they fit in the box so they are good. I am trying to decide if I should just order 5 or 6 of them and be done with it. I don't care for the factory park finish on the ones they came with at all.

I was going to be cheap on the holster for now, but I am sure I will talk myself into a Blade-Tech though I know I can not use the DOH for IDPA.

Thanks for the help!

Half a dozen Mec-Gar's for the same price as 2 or 3 Sig'.

Go for it!

Read up a bit on mag tuning.

Mostly make sure the front of the feed lips are about .005 - .007 wider in the front than the rear.

Then clean off any burrs or sharp edges and buff the edge with a Dremel or something similar.

You should then be good to go.

You hear complaints of nose diving jams and such with Sig's. I made sure the feed lips were right and have never had a problem. Not one!

As an aside, if you are looking for mag pouches you might contact Chris Buell at cbuell77@yahoo.com .

He makes some reallly nice Kydex pouches to fit your magazines. And VERY inexpensively. I have a bunch of them and they work well.

Bill

GrayGuns has some cool modifications for your P226, if you decide to "game". Titanium firing pin blocks, slightly extended mag releases, etc. They are pretty down to earth people and I bet if you gave them a call they would help you out. They also do gunsmithing that can improve trigger pull, etc. Total Automation also has some tweaks (although I've never tried them).

Good luck and good shooting.

Took it out for a few hundred rounds and it performed great. I am going to have to switch the grips up, these E2 are just a little small for me.

I ordered a set of stock grips and screws, as well as 5 of the mec-gars for it as well.

I have some mag holders that work great, they were for a Glock but never seemed right for it. They fit the Sig mags like a glove and work great. They are comp-tacs with locking clip.

If your Elite came with a thin trigger (front-to-back, that is), you can also switch to a standard trigger. Sig started putting those "short" triggers on all the E2 stuff. When I tried one in my 229 with standard grips, it was too short for me. It's just another option.

Also, with all due respect to Bill40718, you may want to number your mags and just run them as is. Take note of which mag you were using if you have any failures and then consider tuning that one. No sense bending feed lips to a certain specification or taking a Dremel to something that may not need it. I've used zipperback German mags, new high gloss MecGars, and new and used AFC Sig mags, and have never had a feed problem that wasn't caused by your truly not seating the mag properly. ;)

IAlso, with all due respect to Bill40718, you may want to number your mags and just run them as is. Take note of which mag you were using if you have any failures and then consider tuning that one. No sense bending feed lips to a certain specification or taking a Dremel to something that may not need it. I've used zipperback German mags, new high gloss MecGars, and new and used AFC Sig mags, and have never had a feed problem that wasn't caused by your truly not seating the mag properly. ;)

I agree with JAFO. In the five or six years that I've shot P226s, I've never had to modify the feed lips on a magazine. The only maintenance I do is cleaning when they get wet and dirty. I also occasionally change out the magazine springs.

I will see about changing the trigger once I get the other grips on. I had a little bit of issue with too much trigger finger but my main issue is actually in the grip itself.

When I get a chance to go back out I will have to try it all out and test all the mags, and go from there.

I think at this point I just need a holster.

FWIW, I use an Uncle Mike's kydex paddle for my 226 (non-railed). It moved around a little when I was using a Wilderness Tactical Instructor's Belt unless I really tightened down on the belt, but once I switched to a CR Speed inner/outer belt setup, it stays put.

I have a Blackhawk CQC (non-serpa) for my 229, and it works well. I'd put the belt slide on as opposed to the paddle if I used it for competition just because it will hold still better.

I will see about changing the trigger once I get the other grips on. I had a little bit of issue with too much trigger finger but my main issue is actually in the grip itself.

When I get a chance to go back out I will have to try it all out and test all the mags, and go from there.

I think at this point I just need a holster.

Check out Bladetech. I think they are a "defacto" choice. I have about 5 different holsters and the Bladetech is the better choice for "gaming". You can change the attachment method from a DOH (USPSA) to a Stingray (IDPA) with a few screws. Of course you can run a Stingray type attachement for both USPSA and IDPA.

• 1 month later...

I own 2 sig 226 pisol my elite is may favorite i have alot of factory mags and have alot of the mecgar mags i drop my mags alot the factory mags are great for droping i have broke 2 mecgar mags the plastic bottom cracks and my mag spring flys out throwing ammo every where so now i only carry sig mags and when i go shooting i look at what i drop my mags on if its grass mud or gravel ill drop the mecgars but will not drop on soild ground. hopes this helps i repaired my mags that broke for 6 bucks no big deal

• 4 weeks later...

I have been using the MecGars for awhile now and they have not given me any issues. The Sig actually ended up in the Wife's shooting bag, I always was hitting the slide lock while shooting. It was causing the Sig to jam or have feed issues.

I still like it more than most as far feel and build, it just doesn't fit me.