Brian Enos's Forums... Maku mozo!

learning curve, extrapolated questions

ericf

Looking at this in a logical format,

Would it be correct to ASSUME, That becoming proficient at single stack (.45), concerning gun handling, recoil, reloads, and sight recovery, that the shooter

would greatly improve with shooting production (M&P pro 9mm)?

To expand,

I have started shooting IDPA with the Pro, but was thinking on getting back into USPSA (ipsc) shooting a TRP in single stack. I used to shoot in a limited division about 20 years ago when there were only two divisions. I used a worked over Gold Cup and safari speed holster. Though I don't think the speed holster can be used in single stack.

My thoughts were that it (shooting both) would help with my improvements in handling, speed, and recovery, especially in the minor divisions.

But then I don't want to introduce variables that will cause confusion and be more detrimental than helpful.

Are my assumptions misplaced?

I can't shoot both IDPA and IPSC - I had to select just one

and selected IPSC. I couldn't switch gears fast enough for

the subtle rule differences between the two.

Shooting two different guns (in different calibers, too)

might help a little, but they're basically the same type

of gun - I'm shooting ltd and open - totally different

sights, and I've learned some form shooting both.

But, I can't imagine that shooting the two guns you're

talking about would improve my shooting any more than

shooting just one of them constantly.

You may be different, though.

shooting just one of them constantly.

Good point,

My thoughts were that the increased weight, recoil, of the .45 may benefit me when going to the 9mm as far as handling is concerned.

but, you have a valid argument.

I still like the .45. But now My old accessories are 20 years from the past. very outdated. I didn't desire to re-buy more current stuff if it held no benefits.

Other than the fun motive

• 2 weeks later...

the good thing shooting the platform you like is you put more trigger time on it. If you shoot production, you will be reloading a slightly larger magwell, and softer recoil. You may just end up staying in production.

I think SS is one of the most challenging division, revo is 1st (just me) :rolleyes: challenging is fun!!

• 3 weeks later...

The more trigger time you put in should make your shooting more accurate and faster regardless of the pistol used.

The more matches entered the more fun you have! That's my philosophy anyway.

Cheers

for those of us that have been doingthis silly sport awhile, ummm back when all they had was single stack .45's...yeah, that old...hey, like they say, practice practice, hittin that skinny maghole sint as challenging as it seems if you putthe time and effort to practice with it. dont worry about having old and or outdated stuff...look at it this way, if you are hitting your reloads with old gear, and the same guy is making like a yard sale with his new fangled gear, you are money ahead, single stack was designed to be forthe minimalist anyways...add a couple more mags...just in case ;) better to have and not need than the other way round...