Brian Enos's Forums... Maku mozo!

Shooting left only when going slow.

New shooter here, really new to the game(first match is this weekend). I have noticed something with both my Glock 19 carry gun and my 34 match gun. When going full tilt my hits are center and where I want them, going slow they go left. There are enough left that at 10yds and out the head A box makes me nervous. I think I am trying to hard, you guys seen anything like this?

Thank You

Patrick Scott

I had a similar problem with a fairly heavy DA trigger pull on one of my HK's, and before I did a trigger job on it, my Gen4 17. I attributed it to improper trigger control and grip strength, on a fairly heavy or long trigger pull. Watch the sights as you slowly pull the trigger (dryfire), to see if they are pulling off the target. If they are, try different grip strengths, grip sizes, positions of the trigger finger on the trigger as you pull it. Or you could do what I did, and change your trigger, though I'm sure like alot of people, you could overcome a long/heavy pull with practice.

My 2 cents.

J

When you are dry firing, you are most likely paying attention to your fundementals. It may be that when firing live ammo, your fundementals begin to break down. Keep dry firing and dry firing and dry firing. The dry fire exercises will eventually allow you to maintian your fundementals during live fire, both fast and slow. Now if I coulod anly apply the fundementals myself.....

None of the above. I see this all the time, and it always comes back to the same thing.

When you go slow, you're very likely taking up the slack, stopping the press, then starting the press again when you feel like the sights are lined up properly. If you stop the trigger press, in the middle, with a Glock, it's going to go left unless you're nearly a freak of nature.

The key is to never stop your trigger finger...when you shoot slowly, you can move your finger slower (to give you more time to align the sights), but don't ever, never, never, never, stop the movement completely. R,

G-ManBart, it worked. Fridays practice went really good with that nugget of info you gave me. I was even getting decent hits on a 9" plate at 50yds. Those hits pretty much proved it for me. I attended a "New Shooter Clinic" today hosted by GMPS and again slow shots were much improved.

Thanks again

Patrick Scott

G-ManBart, it worked. Fridays practice went really good with that nugget of info you gave me. I was even getting decent hits on a 9" plate at 50yds. Those hits pretty much proved it for me. I attended a "New Shooter Clinic" today hosted by GMPS and again slow shots were much improved.

Thanks again

Patrick Scott

problem solved! Good to hear. :cheers:

I am pleased to say that in my first USPSA match on Sunday I had no "left" issues. Thanks again everyone. When I stepped up to Pucker Factor(CM 09-04), T1 was a little nerve racking, but it went great.

glock22.scout- It would be great to get together, good shooting with you as well.

Thanks again

Patrick Scott

Hey, I get lucky from time to time ;)

On a serious note, I'm thrilled to hear it worked out! R,