Brian Enos's Forums... Maku mozo!

Getting set up to load .40

Hey everyone,

I am getting a rig set up to shoot limited. Over the last couple of weeks I have been gathering up components and supplies to reload .40. It is a new caliber for me. So I order 2000 pieces of once fired brass. When it comes in it is all Win NT. Looking around the forums I noticed a lot of people (that find it as range brass) discard it due to the crimp. I am wondering if I should get a swager but that seems like a lot of steps to get to reloading. Decap, swage, run through the U die then reload.

I guess I could resell the brass then try to find some of the non crimped. Man, I guess I'm just rambling now. I would really like to get a 1050 and roll with that because I am sure I will find more NT brass at the range.

Any advise? What would you do? I appreciate all the help I can get.

Matt

How much cheaper is the WinNT brass compared to the regular .40 brass? If you get the 1050 you won't have to separately swage the brass. If you get a 550/650 you will need to swage it separately. Seems like it would be easier to buy the regular .40 brass and not have to worry or mess with the military crimp but it's your $$$.

Edited by The_Vigilante

When I buy used brass I hope that there will only be a small percentage of NT. The RL550 really does not like it at all. I usually pull it and toss it ahead of time although I really hate to waste brass!!!

Hey everyone,

I am getting a rig set up to shoot limited. Over the last couple of weeks I have been gathering up components and supplies to reload .40. It is a new caliber for me. So I order 2000 pieces of once fired brass. When it comes in it is all Win NT. Looking around the forums I noticed a lot of people (that find it as range brass) discard it due to the crimp. I am wondering if I should get a swager but that seems like a lot of steps to get to reloading. Decap, swage, run through the U die then reload.

I guess I could resell the brass then try to find some of the non crimped. Man, I guess I'm just rambling now. I would really like to get a 1050 and roll with that because I am sure I will find more NT brass at the range.

Any advise? What would you do? I appreciate all the help I can get.

Matt

Sell it and buy regular brass...It's not worth the hassle...

That's what I was afraid of. I have a 550 now.

I bought the brass for $55 and the guy delivered it to my work as he is local. I didn't know any better to ask if it was NT brass. I guess I will buy some non crimped .40 and save the NT for when I get me a 1050!

Thanks guys,

Matt