Brian Enos's Forums... Maku mozo!

idaho noob returns to reloading and starts idpa

motosapiens

I did a little reloading back in 1980 or so for .357. Got a .40 last month, and entered an IDPA competition to see what it was all about and had so much fun I figured I'd better get back into reloading. This forum has been invaluable to peruse, but I got tired of not being able to search so I figured I'd better join, even tho I have little of value to offer others.

Picked up a lee breechlock challenger press, some berry's and zero bullets, and a jar of power pistol powder to get started. Once I'm sure I won't blow myself up, I'll be loading some idpa loads with a faster powder like solo1000 or n320.

Power Pistol will pretty much limit you to snappy, factoryish loads, due to it's slower burn rate. If you want to load hotter ammo, it's a great choice. I use PP or something similar to load 115gr FMJs that recoil just like my 147 Federal HST JHP's... get to practice with carry ammo's recoil, without spending $1+ per shot.

Titegroup, VV N320/310, Solo100, and the similar faster burning powders will be your friends when you want to load marshmallow loads.

I know quite a few shooters who ran titegroup under a 165 or 180 FMJ in 40, and they shot soooooooft.

Power Pistol will pretty much limit you to snappy, factoryish loads, due to it's slower burn rate. If you want to load hotter ammo, it's a great choice.

Understood, although PP does seem to work just fine if you load it down even as much as 15-20% fro starting loads. I just liked the idea of starting out with a large margin of safety pressure-wise in case i made a rookie mistake, so the slower burn rate made sense.

I'm hoping to hold out for a year on the progressive machine, but we'll see.

• 4 months later...