Brian Enos's Forums... Maku mozo!

Reloading: Single stage a waste?

I'm going to load single stage for now. Size and deprime one day, inspect cases and prime another, powder and cap another. Then crimp on a extra press I have. It usually takes me about an hour an a half a day to do 300 22-250 loads, and I'm sure I could cut the time down on loading 9 mm minor for production. But if I were doing 1000 rounds a week I would be saving up for a 650 real quick !!

After personally starting out loading with a single stage I highly recommend it. First it's going to slow down the process, in separate steps, which is going to give you more time to learn.

Yes a single stage is slow, however it's not horrible. I put out about 100 rounds an hour on the Rock Chucker taking my time. If you are only shooting 400 rounds a month you can easily load that many in two evenings after work spending a couple hours in the garage.

There are other advantages to buying a single stage. If you ever get into precision rifle shooting it's a must, you don't load those rounds on a progressive. Also a single stage can be handy for small individual steps like primer swagger on military brass.

In other words, buying a single stage now and upgrading to a progressive later will not be money wasted.

Edited by AnthonyL

I just started to reload, and after seeing my friends set up. I did'nt want to waist any money on anything other than at least a Dillon 650 and case feeder. sweet

Ok, do you have a bullet feeder and case feeder? If you added up the price for your "loaded" Dillon, what would it be?

If I took my press and added the BOSS bullet feeder I would be right up there in rounds per hour as you. BUT for about $7-800 less.

Before I started shooting IPSC I used an old RCBS rockchucker jr. Was nice for knocking off a box or 2 of ammo, when I started shooting 2-3 hundred rounds a week I was spending almost a whole day in the garage, so I annouonced to my spouse i was getting a Dillon 550 .. convinced her I could load what I needed in the morning and still have time for her projects around the hoise when i wasn't shooting. If you can get past the initial cost of the equipment you will save yourself hundreds of hours loading.

Good Luck,