Brian Enos's Forums... Maku mozo!

Converting a Springfield 1911A1

G17fan

A new top end, a 9mm ejector and 9mm mags. Brownells is where I get all my parts.

Is there a specific slide and ejector that would be best for my Springfield to keep the stock look?

Thanks.

Edited by G17fan

This 1911 caliber conversion question gets re-asked about once a week it seems,

You need alot of parts, you need to know how to fit these parts, the process of fitting these parts can mess up the fit of the original parts. Cheaper to just buy another gun.

i just bought a pair of Springfield's one was a .38Super mil-spec and the other was a .45 Hi-cap. The original owner sent them both in to the Custom Shop for some work. To cut to the chase, the .45 hi-cap is no longer a .45, but now a frame for 9mm and .38Super. The work done to change the .45 to 9mm/38S (besides a complete new 9mm top) was cutting the frame for a Nowlin ramped barrel, 9mm ejector and slide stop. The guns were also fit so that the frame's/slide's are mix&match. Cost was about $1000 back in 2003 when he had it done for the 9mm conversion.

1230028355_tCjBU-L.jpg

1230043807_edcfA-L.jpg

Edited by Quack

that's the double stack configuration, It started out as a .45ACP and the other frame that came with the pair is a single stack.

I love shooting 9mm 1911's and now i think i found a new love in the .38S.

just got them last weekend and shot them today. the 9mm is a little more accurate than the .38S. The difference is that the .38S started as a mil-spec and just got refit, while the 9mm was built with a Nowlin barrel.

The price for the pair is about what i was going to spend to build a 9mm at home.

1230027114_CvXaZ-L.jpg

1230043312_SNRE6-L.jpg