Brian Enos's Forums... Maku mozo!

At what point of the draw does your finger engage the trigger

JasonS

My thumb safety on my 2011 or 1911 doesn't come off until after both my hands contact the pistol. Taking it off earlier than that makes me very uneasy and I don't want to end up with holes in my body parts because of I'm disengaging the thumb safety too early. There is actually lots of time to do that as you push the pistol out onto the target and when you are postioning your support hand, and as everyone has said keep your finger off the trigger until right before your ready to shoot. As a side note both of the grip safeties are pinned.

• 2 weeks later...
  • Replies 53
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

On a 1911, I definitely would not recommend disengaging the safety in the holster. On an M9/Beretta 92 or S&W Third Generation, all of which are DA/SA with slide mounted safeties, yes, I would disengage the safety in the holsters as I was accessing the gun.

It comes naturally...it's part of being an American and owning a 1911. I actually had to think about it as it's now second nature and doing dryfire exersizes and being around 1911's my entire life.. never even had to think about it until now. lol

Safety goes click automatically after removed from holster on its way to my weak hand..about 1/2 way up....it keeps my right thumb busy while waiting to meet my left one after the draw. :roflol:

When thumbs meet... right finger starts to twitch and finds it's way into the gaurd and starts to move back and forth with very short strokes. :goof:

edit * typos..

Edited by OpenDot

What gun am I shooting?

Glock- Safeties are built in so until my finger hits the trigger not a problem.

1911- As my hands are coming together because the safety gets PULLED DOWN to come off and thumbs come into alignment as support hand hits the grip.

Berreta/Smith/... - As my hand hits the holster because these weapons have a combination decocking lever / safety that needs to be PUSHED UP to disengage. As the hand moves in to grip the gun my thumb pushes the safety UP as I form my strong hand grip.