Brian Enos's Forums... Maku mozo!

Change Kimber CDP from 45 to 9mm

Systemstooge

I have a Kimber Pro CDP II in .45, that I would like to consider a new upper in 9mm. Is this possible, cost prohibitive, would it make more sense to buy a new 1911 in 9mm than to convert it? I haven't the gun smithing experience many of you have so thought I would ask the think tank here.

Thanks Much

Mark

Multiple posts on this subject.

But to get you started in the right directions, heres a list of what you'll need

9mm/38 super slide

9mm barrel

ejector

extractor

firing pin

magazines

Edited by yoshidaex

makes more sense to just buy a 9mm.

You'll also need to cut the frame to fit the 9mm barrel as it has a built in ramp. Which means you cannot go back to your .45 if you wnat to.

Beautiful, this is exactly the info I knew you guys could provide.

Thank you very much

Mark

makes more sense to just buy a 9mm.You'll also need to cut the frame to fit the 9mm barrel as it has a built in ramp. Which means you cannot go back to your .45 if you wnat to.

You can buy unramped 9mm barrels.

Unramped barrels are available from Nowlin, Kart and Storm Lake.

Thats just looking thru the Brownells catalog.

I'm sure there's other manufacturer's.

Edited by yoshidaex

makes more sense to just buy a 9mm.You'll also need to cut the frame to fit the 9mm barrel as it has a built in ramp. Which means you cannot go back to your .45 if you wnat to.

You can buy unramped 9mm barrels.

I think youre still better off with purchasing a new one.

a 9mm target from springfield or kimber is around $1000, a STI trojan is even less.

for a conversion, you'd have to buy all the parts, get them fit, troubleshoot them afterwards and your still possibly out the .45 parts if you cant convert back.

I think youre still better off with purchasing a new one.a 9mm target from springfield or kimber is around $1000, a STI trojan is even less.for a conversion, you'd have to buy all the parts, get them fit, troubleshoot them afterwards and your still possibly out the .45 parts if you cant convert back.

I agree but the OP was asking for options.

Don't be afraid of that Taurus 1911 in 9mm. Those things burn for the bucks! Mags are so so though get some Wilson's but the Taurus is packed with goodies and they shoot Alpha's all day.

Two reasons not to convert the Kimber. This is just opinion of course not fact but here's my 2 cents.

1. Say see ya to the Kimber warranty if you change it. Their turn around on warranty work sucks but they do at least do a good job.

2. 9mm 1911's though way fun to shoot are touchy. If you convert the Kimber you may find your good running gun becomes a poor running custom parts addict. If you go with a gun that was built to be a 9 you skip a ton of the fitting and running work involved in getting the gun up. Springs, extractors, ejector tuning, and Kimber uses a fairly heavy slide which will want to chug shooting the lighter recoiling 9mm.

If your budget allows it go for the Springfield loaded in a 9mm they shoot great! Of course if your budget reallllly allows it go for a Wilson CQB. Those things are awesome. Like a half 1911, half Martian Death Ray!

Have fun :D

Sweet dude! Thank you times 10 for proving my point :D btw how do you like that Wilson OMR mag catch? I've been thinking of throwing one on my Niccole's 9mm Commander. She has trouble reaching the button from time to time and shoots with me for fun. No real interest in competition so she could care less if her gun follows division rules.

it really depends on your grip. if you have a standard grip its totally fine, ive recently started canting my weak hand forward more to help reduce muzzle flip and doing that it can bite into your hand a bit. not as big a deal with a 9mm as it is with a .45.

Aside from that, its great if you need to do fast reloads or cant reach the mag button by default.