Brian Enos's Forums... Maku mozo!

9mm minor load problems

Fastex500

Let me begin by saying thank you to everyone here on the forum! I am back in reloading and shooting sports after 15 years, and the forums have been a great help.

I am working up loads for 9mm to use in 3 Gun and other local matches. I am currently using a M&P Pro, bone stock.

The issue I am running into is that the loads are giving lots of stove pipes or FTE's, along with long soot trail down one side of the case. Here are a few of the loads:

Dardas 147gr, 3.2 TiteGroup, CCI SPP, various brass 1.112 OAL

Dardas 147gr, 4.0 WSF, CCI SPP, various brass, 1.112 OAL

Dardas 147gr, 3.7 HS-6, CCI SPP, various brass, 1.112 OAL

Dardas 125gr, 3.0 Clays, CCI SPP, various brass, 1.125 OAL

Dardas 125gr, 4.0 WSF, CCI SPP, various brass, 1.125 OAL

Now, let me put this out there as well..... (and probably answer my own question at the same time). I am using a Lee Autodisk, and need to verify powder drops. Is the soot from too little pressure to expand the case, and FTE/Stovepipes from inadequate pressure? Thanks for any help. (bad cell pic of cases attached)

post-30604-059525900 1301365621_thumb.jp

Edited by Fastex500

your loads seem on the low side. I have used all those powder in the auto disk and clays was the only one that did not throw as listed.

You need to borrow or buy a chrono to verify how fast they are going to really see the big picture

Listed loads do seem a bit light.

You are verifying weights by throwing 10 charges on a scale and checking average aren't you? You do have a scale?

For loads that light you may want to consider a lighter recoil spring. Stovepipes could very well be from light loads.

A chronograph is a must.

Most competitors prefer a fairly fast burning powder for light loads. I/E HS-6 is more of an open gun major powder that is way dirty and loud at minor pressures. A faster powder will generate more pressure and will burn cleaner.

Edited by blkbrd

I can say something about the Clays load. I use 3.1/3.2 of Clays behind a 147 JHP to make a Power Factor of 130 in my CZ85. The 3.0/125 combination must be way down from that. Additionally, I'm using a much lighter recoil/main spring combination.

A-G

Thanks for all the input! I have a new scale on the way and just ordered an F1 Chrony. I bumped up my TG loads to 3.4/3.5 in a 147 and 3.8 in the 124, I will provide a range report later today. Also, any input on powder is appreciated. I have the following powders to choose from for 124 cast and 147 cast:

TiteGroup

HS-6

WSF

Clays

Green Dot

Promo

and I have CCI 500 SPP as well as Win Magnum SPP

Thanks for all the input! I have a new scale on the way and just ordered an F1 Chrony. I bumped up my TG loads to 3.4/3.5 in a 147 and 3.8 in the 124, I will provide a range report later today. Also, any input on powder is appreciated. I have the following powders to choose from for 124 cast and 147 cast:

TiteGroup

HS-6

WSF

Clays

Green Dot

Promo

and I have CCI 500 SPP as well as Win Magnum SPP

do not buy the F1 chrono!!!! Get the prochrno digital. You will thank me later I prefer WST to any of the above in 9mm/40/45. 3.6 wst with 147gr lead will make 130 pf with little smoke

Edited by 98006

I am happy to report a great range visit! I bumped up the TG loads, powder weights are from the Lee disc chart, I won't be able to verify until Thursday:

147gr cast/3.5 TG/1.120 OAL

124gr cast/3.8 TG/1.125 OAL

These both cycled the gun with no issues! The 147 felt recoil was less to me, less muzzle rise and less "snap". These are definitely a little smoky, but live-able. Now to try some other powders and see what else I like. I did try 147gr cast/4.0 WSF/1.120 OAL and got some stove pipes and powder splatter.

I'll update the thread with some more loads and also with the accuracy I find once I can verify powder weights. I also read over in the M&P forums that the Pro has a 17lb spring and requires full power loads to cycle reliably, I can pick up a 15lb and 13lb spring and may try them with lighter loads as well.

Thanks again everyone!

Edited by Fastex500