Brian Enos's Forums... Maku mozo!

Light Strikes

mwx40x40

My son has been having what we thought were light strikes with his M&P 9mm. So for the second time we replaced the striker spring with and extra power striker spring from SSS. This weekend while shooting steel in Summerville he experienced this again(twice) shooting Winchester White Box. When I mentioned this to some fellow shooters, they began questioning the quality of WWB. Others chimed in about high primers, brass defects and other such quality control problems. Has anybody else noticed this? I always thought of WWB as the go to ammo for factory fodder.

BTW,The striker itself seems to be in good shape.

What recoil spring are you using? If the slide is not closing all the way you get light strikes also.

I don't shoot WWB anymore but when I did I never had problems.

The Federal stuff at Walmart is cheaper though so when my buddy buys factory ammo that's what he gets.

If the slide is 1/8" open, when you pull the trigger it closes. Mimics the feel of a light strike. RWS does this for me unless I use a 13 or stronger recoil spring. All other ammo runs with my 11lb spring.

Does your pistol have a trigger job?

Gun has Dan Burwell trigger job , about 4 years old. However, just put in new factory recoil spring and guide rod, trigger return spring and extra power striker spring from SSS.Ran over 100 rounds of reloads with Federal primers no problem, had some reloads with older Wolf primers and had a couple of light strikes, but the one that puzzled me the most were the two light strikes within 100 rounds of WWB.