Brian Enos's Forums... Maku mozo!

Checking Headspace

fiddler

So if I am getting a spare bolt do I need to check headspace?

If I do, how do I do it? With one of these gauges from Brownell's?

You can check the headspace with another bolt. AR bolts are probably the closest tolerence parts used in firearms. Should you decide to get the gages to check, you need a set of 3. Go, No Go, and the Field. Remove the ejector from the bolt, start with the Go gage. The bolt should lock just fine with the Go gage. Next, the No Go gage. If the No Go still allows the bolt to lock, it's acceptable, no optimal. If the Field gage locks, try another bolt. In bolt guns, a Field gage would mean the headspace is totally out of tolerence. With an AR, you can try other bolts, but, I'd venture to guess, the Field gage would still fit.

You can check the headspace with another bolt. AR bolts are probably the closest tolerence parts used in firearms. Should you decide to get the gages to check, you need a set of 3. Go, No Go, and the Field. Remove the ejector from the bolt, start with the Go gage. The bolt should lock just fine with the Go gage. Next, the No Go gage. If the No Go still allows the bolt to lock, it's acceptable, no optimal. If the Field gage locks, try another bolt. In bolt guns, a Field gage would mean the headspace is totally out of tolerence. With an AR, you can try other bolts, but, I'd venture to guess, the Field gage would still fit.

I'm not sure what you mean when you say I can check the headspace with another bolt.

I think what Dan is referring to is that if your bolt checks to big (larger than field) you can try another bolt, as the dimension between bolt face (where the cartridge face meets the bolt) and the back of the locking lugs can very by a few thousands and "sometimes" a different bolt will not close on the larger gauge.

I think what Dan is referring to is that if your bolt checks to big (larger than field) you can try another bolt, as the dimension between bolt face (where the cartridge face meets the bolt) and the back of the locking lugs can very by a few thousands and "sometimes" a different bolt will not close on the larger gauge.

That's what I meant!

It's called a Field Reject gage. If it closes on the Field gage, it fails headspace. If it fails, change bolt and cam pin and retest. I always change cam pins at the same time as they wear too.

I've never seen new parts fail HS. Usually, if the gun fails the HS gaging the barrel will also swallow the throat erosion gage (unservicable barrel).

So if the bolt closes on the field gauge headspace is incorrect? Seems like that can't be right.

You may not think it's right, but, it is. A No Go gage is .004" longer than a Go gage. A Field gage is .004" longer than a No Go. Ideally, the bolt should close only on the Go gage.

So if the bolt closes on the field gauge headspace is incorrect? Seems like that can't be right.

You may not think it's right, but, it is. A No Go gage is .004" longer than a Go gage. A Field gage is .004" longer than a No Go. Ideally, the bolt should close only on the Go gage.

Sounds like I need a Go and a No Go gauge. ???

Do I really need anything? Can I assume that if the bolt closes on sized ammunition and everything works and the rifle is accurate that headspace is good?

Edited by fiddler

Actually, if you want the gages, you need all 3. You can not adjust the headspace anyway, as it's controlled during chambering.

You can control the amount of sizing you do to the brass, which is what folks refer to as checking headspace.

If your ammo runs fine, and doesn't separate, you'll be fine.

Okay. I think this makes sense now. If I want to check the headspace of the rifle I need all three gauges, Go, No Go and Field. If I want to make sure my ammunition is in spec I need a sizing gauge for that.

If the rifle runs fine its headspace is probably fine.

Thanks for all the replies. I like learning new things. That's one reason I decided to try Multi Gun. That and all the cool new toys. :cheers: