Brian Enos's Forums... Maku mozo!

No access to USPSA site with my "network"

For some odd reason I can't access the USPSA website through my WiFi. I can through other networks when not at home.

Not sure why or how this happens. I would just piggyback off someone else but they are all protected.

Any clues?

Flex,

Yea I have done all the usual stuff. It does it no matter how I try to access it. Link or direct typing.

I want to point out that this is the ONLY website that does this.

gaminggoddess,

"The webpage "www.uspsa.org" cannot be foundDNS error occurred. Server cannot be found. The link may be broken."

Ping the site? I looked that up and did it. Said 4 packets sent 0 received lost 4. I have passed messages with you before on youtube during the "can you name the background music on my video" comments..lol

Edited by hankfan79

As mentioned before, all the simple and normal things have been done.

I think USPSA might be blocking my provider for some reason. Well, that can't be it because I can get onto the site on another network from the same provider....dang.

Somebody over at Eastern WA is also having the same issue. He takes laptop to work, or his father's place or a cafe, and he can accesses uspsa.org, but no go from home. I last suggested that he try swapping modems with Comcast in case the previous owner of modem had tweaked the DNS settings, but still the same problem. (I really should call him back and try a different approach.)

Wes...try this...

Start, Run, enter CMD. This opens a DOS window. Type in "ipconfig /flushdns" without the quotes. Then type in "ipconfig /registerdns" again without the quotes. This will flush your DNS and renew it. Then try to ping USPSA... "ping www.uspsa.org" You should get 3 replies from an IP address.

If that don't work, if you are using IE, ensure your browser options LAN network settings are not using a Proxy. Update thread.

Mark,

Did what you advised. Every session timed out.

No proxy settings being used.

I did notice this. I am on a wireless network. I unhooked my router and plugged directly into my laptop..IT WORKED!

However, the modem/router is upstairs and I keep my laptop downstairs. This sucks.

I managed to get into the router settings via online but can't see anything that would restrict anything.

I find it extremely odd that this is the only website this happens on.

Sounds like the culprit is in your wireless router wireless settings. Check to see if anything is blocked such as IP's host names, etc. If you plugged it in and it worked, then the hard wired section of the router is allowing it to go through...seems the wireless is not. Dang queer electrons. :angry2:

Edited to add:

Do you have another laptop, a friends or other, that you can test. If it works on another system via wireless, then the problem is in your laptop settings. You can wittle it down to one or the other.

And you might try a hard reset of the router...but then if you have security set, MAC filtering set, or other custom settings, you'll have to go back and reset those...but it may fix your problem.

Edited by Mark R

I meant that I wired the modem directly to the laptop. I didn't see anything to hint of site blockage. I even reset the router back to it's factory settings...NOTHING. That sucked because I had to re-find everything that was wireless in my house..Printer, PS3, and phone.

No other laptop at the time.

Can someone please post the webmasters or whoevers email address I can get in contact with and see if they blocked my ISP?

Thanks

If plugging the laptop into the modem works, it's not your ISP being blocked. It's also not the laptop. Which means it's your router. The only thing I can think of is that a number of newer routers try to be "helpful" by including anti-phishing technology. Which is basically a black list updated from some service online. It effectively blocks resolving the DNS entries for anything on the list. The lists aren't always accurate, and this can make stuff disappear randomly.

I've tried everything next to buying a new one. I've given up.

If I want to go to the USPSA site, I will just unhook to router and plug directly into the modem I guess.

What make and model router do you have?

linksys WRT54GS2

In this out of the box firmware, or did it get replaced with DD-WRT firmware?

I assume it's the out of the box firmware. If so, has it been updated with the latest BIOS from Linksys?

As you probably know, you can get to your router configuration pages by going to http://192.168.1.1.

If you go to the maintenance page of your router, it should have a link to check and update your firmware. (I'd put a screen shot, but I've replaced my Linksys firmware with DD-WRT.)

Go to the Linksys support site. Here's a direct link the appropriate model: http://homesupport.cisco.com/en-us/wireless/lbc/WRT54GS2. Click on downloads to see the available updates.