Brian Enos's Forums... Maku mozo!

Dot Problems

Rufus The Bum

I was shooting my new open gun today and had a few strange things happen. First, when a shot was fired, the dot initially rose to the top of the C-More lens (muzzle flip) then dipped waaaaay below the scope. It was almost like the recoil spring was too heavy, so I installed a lighter one. That didn't fix it, so I installed a heavier one with the same results.

My new open gun has an STI Trubor comp with 2 barrel ports. I played with my grip, tried a loose grip, same results. Tight grip, same results.

What am I missing? My previous Open guns didn't have this problem, the dot always stayed in the view area of my C-More.

My guess is it is your grip.

Play with it some more. Especially if you are coming from a Limited gun. If you are new to that Open gun, then you wll have to overcome your previous "timing". Which likely has your returning the gun as if it was your Limited gun...once the recoil starts. (You likely start with a light grip, then your training takes over.)

People talk about their comps working so well that the muzzle dips, and that could be the case. But, I have a feeling that it's more often the grip/timing. I know that when I was playing in Open, I had to really struggle with allowing myself to let the gun do the work.

Coming from Limited, the increased noise & sting in your hand is going to have your body thinking it has a lot of work to do to handle the gun. It doesn't.

If I change something - load, spring, gun weight - I do the timing drills & before that even, I do a pre-timing check. Not even a drill.

Call it, "watch it jump up" - Fire one shot and don't even respond to the recoil at all. Just be in a good solid stance, fire a shot, and see how far it lifts. Sometimes I'll use a target at 10yds as a reference, but I don't care about hitting it.

After you fire one shot, see where it went, then just put it back. No hurry. Fire another one. See where it went. Put it back. Repeat some with eyes closed for the shot, eyes open to see where it went.

Then do timing drills.

PS - you should also try this while leaning around a barricade - you might be REAL surprised which direction&distance the gun moves

Flex pretty much hit it. I just switched to open and to get a good tracking dot I have to use a 70/30 grip. I would really try to drive my limited gun and that just not work for me and my open gun. I don't like gripping so loose with my strong hand but that's I've got to do to get a good lift and return.