Brian Enos's Forums... Maku mozo!

COLT my niegbor showed me last night

t_kothmann

My neighbor, WWII vet, saw me working on a 1911 in my garage and asked me to come look at his. It was a colt 1911, in 38 super, that has never been fired in a small cardboard box. He said he thinks he bought it in a supermarket or hardware store in the late 40's early 50's. I was in awe of that pistol.

does anyone have any idea what an early 50's pistol like that is worth NIB?

I literally havent been able to stop thinking of ths pistol.

I might ask him what he was planning on doing with it next time I run into him. I'm over there weekly helping out and he has one alcoholic daughter that comes over every once in a while. (she's always doing the casual touch that creeps me out )

Those older Colts are collectors items, for sure...But I wouldn't run MJ PF ammo through it...More than likely it doesn't have a fully (or nearly fully) supported chamber, and if I'm not mistaken, they headspaced off of the semi rim, not the case mouth, which led to some accuracy issues.

I'm over there weekly helping out and he has one alcoholic daughter that comes over every once in a while. (she's always doing the casual touch that creeps me out )

Sounds like an ideal neighbor!

hes a great guy, his family kinda sucks but i don't mind helping him out if i can. I know my day will come soon enough.

Those older Colts are collectors items, for sure...But I wouldn't run MJ PF ammo through it...More than likely it doesn't have a fully (or nearly fully) supported chamber, and if I'm not mistaken, they headspaced off of the semi rim, not the case mouth, which led to some accuracy issues.

If i did end up with it I wouldn't ever shoot it. just admire it.

If i did end up with it I wouldn't ever shoot it. just admire it.

IMO, that's a waste....Guns were meant to be shot.

Well I have plenty of guns that get shot plenty. I would feel bad that this man never shot this gun for 60 years then I go a defile this piece of history.

This may be a case of counting chickens before they've hatched.

A friend has the same gun but circa late 60's. Grumpy is dead on that it spaces off the semi rim. My friends has the ultra rare Bar-Sto barrel (so rare Bar-Sto doesn't show record of building any) which was the best solve for this with that cool pinchy springy bushing that is the devil to get off even with a wrench. If you do swap barrels to be happier shooting it remember it's throated so only a non ramped barrel will do. If you do change the barrel make sure the smith fits the barrel to the slide without changing the slide at all. The value will be preserved.

There a blast to shoot! Though they don't seem to like Cor-Bon. I've been trying to get my friend to sell me his for a couple years now.