Brian Enos's Forums... Maku mozo!

What's a "Match" Primer?

doc540

ive heard the match primers are pulled from the middle of a batch instead of the beginning or end to ensure consistency. Ive also heard that sometimes the more experienced people are the ones making the "match" primers. Its a consistency issue in teh long run and for what we do pistol-wise, I wouldn't buy them unless they are the same price or cheaper than the standards-its not worth it otherwise.

Now for some precision rifle shooting, its a different story....

For anything other than precision rifle...

If the price is good or it's the only thing available or its that or Russian or some off-brand, then get the match primers - you will not be disappointed. But if there are good choices other than match, they are rarely worth the extra money.

Who can afford to shop @ GM. I do it all mail order in bulk. Find some friends that reload and start bulk purchasing, you will be able to shoot up the saving!!!!!!!!!!!!

That's good advice if someone has reason and a group to buy in bulk.

But consider I'm new to reloading and there's a SDB in the garage all refurb'ed and just waiting to get started.

1,000 primers in hand from GM didn't seem expensive at all. :o

The difference is in the tolerances the primers are held to and some have a different priming compound that promote more uniform ignition. For most people they will not be able to tell the difference. When looking at how it contributes to your group sizes the average reloader with factory rifles will not be able to tell one primer from the other. The average reloader will most likely not be shooting .1in - .2in groups at 100 yards, but it is group sizes like that where you may see the difference from standard primers.