Brian Enos's Forums... Maku mozo!

550 primer feed problem

I've been having some primer feed issues with my 550. Seems like 1 out of every 10 pulls the primer will not get picked up. Seems like the slide does not come back far enough so the primer does not get dropped into the cup. I've tweaked the rod to pull it further back. This helps but it is still happening.

I tried to search but it was giving me an error so sorry if this is a repeat.

Any help is appreciated.

550 Priming Assembly Adjustment Notes:

* Thoroughly polish frame, wherever priming slide touches it, with green Scotch Brite. (Approx. every 3000 rounds)

* Wipe off Primer Slide with solvent or alcohol. Leave it all dry.

* At rest primer slide adjustment: Set so that one primer, dropped down the tube, goes all the way into the Primer Seating Cup, 10 times in a row.

* Angle of Primer Slide Operating Rod (13869) - Release rod from rollers and swivel it 180º so it's pointing straight up - it should be parallel with the Primer Housing Shield, or maybe outward "a little"; it should not be "inward" at all.

* Be sure both screws (14530) that tighten Roller Bracket Shell Platform (14280) from bottom (to the Shellplate Platform) are tight!

* Make sure Priming Seating Punch Assembly is fully bottomed out before tightening screw (13996): Measured from bottom of Primer Slide (13920) to top of seated Primer Seating Cup (13284/5), dimension should be between 2.125 - 2.220 inches.

* Be sure Priming Operating Rod Bracket (13887) is adjusted so it's within a few thousands of an inch from the top of frame/Toplhead.

This is Brian's set of tips for the 550 priming set up. They have always worked for me. Particularly the 4th point, the primer slide operating rod must be working straight out and back from the machine. It's a limited length lever and it needs all the "stroke" or range of movement that it has. If it's off to one side too much it is effectively shortened and won't push the slide all the way back. It might be right on the edge of being enough and causing you an occasional problem.

Also the last point I've found very important. Again it has to do with the "stroke" or rang of movement of the rod. The bracket that holds it can work its way up the primer magazine over time or become twisted on the magazine. It's held on by one screw clamping it to the magazine. Make sure it's all the way down to the toolhead. A few thousandths or slightly touching it. Just touching works for me.

You adjust both issues the same, by moving the bracket that's attached to the primer magazine. I find that I have to do this occasionally, every several thousand rounds maybe.

All the bullet points are worth looking at now and then, but the two I mention weren't obvious to me until Brian pointed them out.

The forum is having a technical issue right now, believe me a search will turn up alot. It always comes back to the above.

Kevin

I've had similar problems on and off for years. Cleaning and putting graphite on the slide usually helped. This time it didn't.

What I finally found was that the primer operating rod was very stiff. I put some oil where it goes into the mounting block and worked it back and forth. Now it swings easily and I haven't had a problem since then.

Ken

Doing the above helps for me. Especially making sure the piece that attaches to the primer tube (the one that operating rod goes into) is bottomed out against top of toolhead, and that the operating rod is lubed where it goes into the hole.

Follow Brians Instructions to the letter. Bracket that holds the rod should be above the press (not touching), polish the slider and clean it very well. Make sure the stop is adjusted per Brians Directions. Main thing I don't see people ever talk about is this. You don't just throw the slider in the press and tighten the bolts on the tube down. You loosly tighten the bolts that hold housing and do a "push to primer move with the handle". You then adjust the entire housing till that push to prime operation is entirely smooth. Then you pull the slider back and make sure it's not binding. That step is the most important part of the process IMHO. Brians instructions are the "science" of setting up the slider. My part is the "art". You just get a feel for how it moves up and down in the shellplate and then how it slides in the housing.

550 Priming Assembly Adjustment Notes:

* Thoroughly polish frame, wherever priming slide touches it, with green Scotch Brite. (Approx. every 3000 rounds)

* Wipe off Primer Slide with solvent or alcohol. Leave it all dry.

* At rest primer slide adjustment: Set so that one primer, dropped down the tube, goes all the way into the Primer Seating Cup, 10 times in a row.

* Angle of Primer Slide Operating Rod (13869) - Release rod from rollers and swivel it 180º so it's pointing straight up - it should be parallel with the Primer Housing Shield, or maybe outward "a little"; it should not be "inward" at all.

* Be sure both screws (14530) that tighten Roller Bracket Shell Platform (14280) from bottom (to the Shellplate Platform) are tight!

* Make sure Priming Seating Punch Assembly is fully bottomed out before tightening screw (13996): Measured from bottom of Primer Slide (13920) to top of seated Primer Seating Cup (13284/5), dimension should be between 2.125 - 2.220 inches.

* Be sure Priming Operating Rod Bracket (13887) is adjusted so it's within a few thousands of an inch from the top of frame/Toplhead.

This is Brian's set of tips for the 550 priming set up. They have always worked for me. Particularly the 4th point, the primer slide operating rod must be working straight out and back from the machine. It's a limited length lever and it needs all the "stroke" or range of movement that it has. If it's off to one side too much it is effectively shortened and won't push the slide all the way back. It might be right on the edge of being enough and causing you an occasional problem.

Also the last point I've found very important. Again it has to do with the "stroke" or rang of movement of the rod. The bracket that holds it can work its way up the primer magazine over time or become twisted on the magazine. It's held on by one screw clamping it to the magazine. Make sure it's all the way down to the toolhead. A few thousandths or slightly touching it. Just touching works for me.

You adjust both issues the same, by moving the bracket that's attached to the primer magazine. I find that I have to do this occasionally, every several thousand rounds maybe.

All the bullet points are worth looking at now and then, but the two I mention weren't obvious to me until Brian pointed them out.

The forum is having a technical issue right now, believe me a search will turn up alot. It always comes back to the above.

Kevin

Im going to try those tips because i have been having the same issue. Being such a novice with this machine I wasnt sure if i was short stroking the handle or if it was the machine.

Dillon recommends the bracket be much higher then Brian. I forget the exact ammount (I think it's a 1/4"). The higher you move the bracket the more leverage the rod has on the slider. Also be sure the bracket is square to the frame. If the rod is then not 180 degrees up or leaing out just a smidge bend it till it is. Out is OK, in is not.

• 3 weeks later...