Brian Enos's Forums... Maku mozo!

Safety Problems

rick539

Got my new (used) P16-40 and have come across a few issues that need to addressed imediately. First let me give parts history. Has an Ed Brown trigger, hammer and sear. I put an ICE magwell on and thats about it. The 2 problems I am having are: 1. When u put the safety on, if u depress the trigger and then take your finger off, the hammer goes home when the safety is moved from safe to fire. This is a major safety problem and needs fixed before I can even shoot the weapon. If you put the safety on and don't touch the trigger, then it works just fine. 2. Grip safety does not work. I did not do the work on this weapon. This is my first trip back into the 1911 type weapon since I was in the Corps back in the 70's so my knowledge of them compared to the Glocks and S&W is limited.

Thanks for any info. If needed does anyone recommend a gunsmith they trust. Thanks........Richard

Rick, try to find someone local by asking around because it costs a lot to ship. USPSA or IDPA shooters would probably know. Sometimes your local gunshop will know/have someone also. Don't know where you live so I can't recommend anyone.

FWIW

Richard

Usually when you replace the trigger, sear and hammer you also either have to refit or replace the thumb and grip safety. I would bet the tab on the thumb (and grip) safety that keeps the trigger from releasing the sear is too short with the new parts and is letting the sear slip out of the hammer notch. The hammer is being held back only by the thumb safety so when you slip it off... BANG! The same thing would be true for the grip safety.

Find a local smith who can install a new thumb and/or grip safety. Also have him check the fit of the new Ed Brown parts. If the person who installed the parts did not know about the possible effect on thumb and grip safety performance then I would question the rest of the work he/she did. Good luck.

Do NOT send the gun back to Para if you want it fixed right and in this lifetime.

Edited by wmspdi

I wise gunsmith told me that unless you get lucky, there is no such thing as a "drop in" part on a 1911. Most 1911 parts will need to be fitted, and sometimes it results in the refitting or replacement of related parts. ;)

I just ran into the same issue but it was self induced and kind of expected. Replaced all the innards, started proofing and "Click". :surprise:

I took a closer look and the OEM sear cross bar is much,.030, thicker than the new sear. That is a little more than peening and stretching will yield, so a new thumb safety is on its way from Brownells. I equate the 1911 to a carb / distributor motor compared to the electronic injected types. One I can work on and diagnose; the other just goes to the shop, without question. I can't tell you what goes on inside my SIG and honestly don't care to know. The 1911 and I are old friends. There is a place for both. The SIG is a fine pistol and just used for reference but it will NEVER give me what a 1911 can give me in competition.

Local 1911 guru looked at it, the Ed Brown sear did not fit right, he had a wilson combat and put it in, now works like a champ. As for the grip safety, the previous owner did a disconnect for competition. Thanks for all the inputs.