Brian Enos's Forums... Maku mozo!

first time with a timer

sig chaser

I just used a timer for the first time in my dry fire practice and thought I would post how I did. I know my times are way slow compaired to some of you (heck most of you lol) but I'm. Pretty excited and feel like I actually accomplished a little tonight. Now all I have to do is keep doing it nightly and hopefully I will begin to see some improvment. First some background I work in armed security and have shot one idpa match ssp and the classifier which I shot ssp marksman (missed sharp shooter by .5 of a second). All was done without concealment with a glock 17 strong side owb.

First round. Draw from holster hands at sides engage a reduced idpa target with one round (simulated by dry fire to the 0 down section) my time in the end was 1.6 seconds

Second round. From slide lock reload and dry fire one round to the 0 down section of reduced idpa target. Time in the end was 3 seconds.

Like I said I know its slow but figured I would post it anyway.

Use your par time feature and try to beat times you didn't think you could beat while doing dry fire drills. Make sure to get a clean sight picture every time you pull the trigger. Repeat a few hundred times and if you don't get faster during live fire I'd be very surprised!

The par time feature is a tremendous help. Keep track with the drills completed and the par time used (I use Steve Anderson's dryfire book for USPSA practice). Keep working on lowering the par time. You'll be amazed at what you can accomplish.

I took my new timer to the range for the first time yesterday. It don't lie. :blush:

I use the par time feature and the earplug feature for dryfire practice in the garage. I'm bought it with the notion that it is the best key to improvement. Only time will tell. No pun intended.

Lol same for me. I picked up the ced 8000 knowing that the earplug would allow me to practice more often at home (the beep would drive my girlfriend and my dogs nuts who would in turn drive me nuts). So far I have seen minor improvments and believe it is the key as well. I veiw it like this, I used to race and trying to improve at shooting without a timer would be the equivlent of trying to race without a stop watch. It just doesn't work what feels fast usually isn't and what feels slow can be very fast perception varies and you need feedback to know what works and what doesn't.

• 4 weeks later...

I use this at home in my man cave on my laptop and do it at different distances and heights.

http://www.predatortactical.com/cart.php?m=knowledgebase_detail&id=5

Only started using this a couple weeks ago with my CZ/Glock guns. Now the open gun. With all of them on one site, it's cutting my draw/fire times, unload and show clear, reload draw/fire.

#1 On my laptop from across the room is awesome!!!

#2 and #3 work great.

#4 is great with the red dot on low (barely on)

• 2 weeks later...

I use this at home in my man cave on my laptop and do it at different distances and heights.

http://www.predatortactical.com/cart.php?m=knowledgebase_detail&id=5

Only started using this a couple weeks ago with my CZ/Glock guns. Now the open gun. With all of them on one site, it's cutting my draw/fire times, unload and show clear, reload draw/fire.

#1 On my laptop from across the room is awesome!!!

#2 and #3 work great.

#4 is great with the red dot on low (barely on)

AWESOME!!! Used on my laptop for a few minutes and that program is great. I will be using that alot i am sure.

Also I just got my Steve Anderson books and skimmed them alittle seems like alot of good information there for Dryfire practice and bringing your par times down. I would recomment it mainly because it has the "Score cards" in it and the drills look awesome. Start my dry fire training starting on Monday.