Brian Enos's Forums... Maku mozo!

reno 52

i have 2 1911 high end .45s from a well known maker. both guns will double with me and only me! a well known firearms instructor has no idea whats going on as he and others have no trouble with these two 1911 .45s. over 400 rds were run through the two without a problem. both guns have been sent back to the maker and still they only have doubling problems when i shoot them. need some thought as to what could be going on - reno 52

Edited by reno 52

Are they light triggers?

could be that you are riding them and in recoil basically bump firing it

That'd be my guess. I had the same problem when I went from a 4 lb trigger to a 1.5 lb trigger. I've since set all my triggers to a consistent 2 to 2.25 lbs, and no bump fires, no surprises.

Increase the pretravel spring tension. Strengthen your wrists. Your finger is bump firing it. Pull the trigger and hold it back until the gun settles from recoil, then release. Do this in practice for a while. If it stops doubling, when you KNOW you are pinning the trigger back when you fire it, that pretty much confirms the finger bump. It's possible to have the same result with an ultra light trigger pull and a heavy trigger, but it would show up with others shooting it too.

Increase the pretravel spring tension. Strengthen your wrists. Your finger is bump firing it. Pull the trigger and hold it back until the gun settles from recoil, then release. Do this in practice for a while. If it stops doubling, when you KNOW you are pinning the trigger back when you fire it, that pretty much confirms the finger bump. It's possible to have the same result with an ultra light trigger pull and a heavy trigger, but it would show up with others shooting it too.

don't have small hands but know i cause the doubling to happen. will try pretravel spring tension adjustment and dry fire changing my trigger pull. not to have faith in 3700.00 worth of guns is quite a concern. you're help sure makes sense - thank you

No more alcohol for you either. :cheers: Wait till you have a 12 gauge fire both barrels simultaneously. :roflol: Do you have small hands and are only able to get the tip of your trigger finger on the trigger?

hands not the problem and as a youth pulled front trigger on double barrell and set off both barrells-- not good!