Brian Enos's Forums... Maku mozo!

Handling versus Capacity

Neil Beverley

Hi All

Can I please pose a question to you? For the moment please set aside any thoughts or arguments between IPSC/USPSA/Other 3 GUN. For the purposes of this question it doesn’t matter.

If a division stated that you can only START with 9 rounds maximum in the gun but then permitted you to load addition rounds after the start signal, and forgetting any current legal restrictions in the US for now, would you:

1. Use a short barrelled gun which only just takes 9 rounds because it’s lighter and easier to manoeuvre/handle.

or

2. Use a longer gun, say a 28 inch barrel, with a mag tube which is the length of the barrel, and which gives a possible capacity of around 12-13 rounds.

Again bearing in mind you can only START with 9 in the gun do you go for handling or the extra capacity? Which option do you think gives you the better advantage?

Neil:

I would go with 1 extra round of capacity with the barrel about the same length as the tube around 21-22 inches. That way it is a bit easier to load and right off the start after your first engagementyou can get your "ooops' round into the gun with no time penalty. I shot a standard shotgun in open division at the Arkansas state 3-gun last year and won the shotgun match. Yes they started more rounds, but the loading was always moving and it is harder to use a "speed loader" while moving a ways than it is for me to load weakhanded while moving. The one stage I didn't win was a stand and shoot requiering loading 10 rounds. No moving, and speed loaders= an a$$ whipping :D A shorter shotgun is a lot easier to drive to the next target, and you don't have to worry about shells pulsing in the mag tube, if it's really long. Also it is much esier in a confined area to handle. KURTM

Neil,

I would stick to my 24" barrel and mag that comes level, which contains 10, and keep the short length of the gun - is this research for next years rules ? :rolleyes:

At the Hardy a few could use the extra space in the mag whilst shooting 65mm's and put extras in before getting to the first shooting position after the start signal, which was a definite advantage to using 65mm's. I got well and truely trounced on that stage !

hope you are well, fancy shooting the DPOA on the 4th?

Mike

Hi Mike

The search for better rules will never end but I'm just trawling for opinions at the moment.

There are no intended rule changes for next year. The earliest changes shouldn't take effect until Jan 2006. This puts us back on a 3 year cycle with rule changes only being put forward at a General Assembly held in conjunction with a Hangun World Shoot, i.e. discuss them at the 2005 GA and if adopted then to take effect the following Jan.

If the divisional rules are applied correctly then it should only be possible for a maximum of a single extra round to be loaded after the start signal (Option 1 Loaded start). You wrote "extras" ??

It is with much regret that I can't make the DPOA match, there are too many things going on at the moment and I'm off skiing in France for a week departing on Good Friday. My first match is going to be at Harlow. :(

It's a really p*sser for me because I go way, way back with the DPOA with the early charity handgun matches, the HG matches in NI itself, the NI raft race (I was part of the Met team) and more recently the SG matches. And talking about the Met team - there we are out in the breakers on a day it nearly got cancelled because of the rough seas and then we discover that Vanessa can't swim! It was worse than that we couldn't even get her out of the water and onto the raft. We were a dismal failure. But the event raised a lot of money. Happy days!!

Otherwise, Kurt, Mike, your comments are noted. Thanks.

Any more thoughts on this out there?

Hi Neil

I hope this is about standard/limited your thinking, if so then just restrict the overall length of the mag tube from mag catch to end cap and let them use little cartridges if they want. dont forget that most tiny rounds dont make factor and so anybody using 40mm will probably not score anyway.its a lot easier to use a tape measure than fiddle around with those dummies .

Mike- are you sure they were 65mm? they may have been shorter i.e. 55mm so 40mm overall unfired, or alternatively they did not have the correct kit.

BTW tubes were checked and some people did get bumped to mod

j

Hi Neil,

As you know I have never really competed with my shotgun, so my opinion is not based on real match experience with it.

Some weeks ago we have shortened my barrel by some 12 centimters to 61 cm (almost min. legal length here) and I am very happy with the better handling the gun now provides. Especially with my weak back (hernia a few years ago) this reduced length helps a lot. So personally I can imagine that I would go for the shorter weapon and reload if necessary. If I with my shorter gun would have to reload, the guys with the longer guns would have too. The only difference is that I have to empty my gun a bit first before I can reload, and the other guys might be able to shove extra rounds in just after the start signal or some other convenient moment. But that slight difference would probably not drive me to a longer gun.