Brian Enos's Forums... Maku mozo!

Strange malfunction

prreed10

Had a strange malfunction at a 3 gun match today. Shooting a 24" M2 and during a 23 shot course, I had a jam. When I went to clear it, the brass from the shell had completely separated from the hull. I cleared it, kept shooting and it happened again 4 or 5 shots later. I was shooting Remington Super Target 2 3/4 in low brass shells, both came from the same box. I shot the rest of the box along with 2 more without any problems.

I've shot shotguns for the last 25 years and have never had this happen before. I'm leaning more towards bad ammo on this one but wanted to see if anyone has had this problem before?

Yep. Several times. Especially in the duck blind and usually with cheaper shells. Saw one a few months ago at a 3 gun match. Cheap Winchester 100 pack from Wal-mart. Are these the Remington 100 pack shells from Wal-mart?

Yet another reason why I only shoot Winchester AA or Remington STS at big matches.

I have noticed it happening mostly when the gun is pretty hot from shooting. Coincidence, maybe? I'm not exactly sure how the plastic from the hull is attached to the shell base.

Edited by usp45ss

No, it was the $7 a box stuff from Academy. It's my 3rd case of it and this is the 1st problem I've had. Just concerned because it was my 1st match with the Benelli.

Growing up, we almostalways shot Winchester AA's and the majority was high brass.

Hate that you couldn't make it today. It was a beautiful day for 3 gun!

Was it this stuff?

Remington STS

I've used a few cases. Only problem I had with one case was that a few boxes got crushed and deformed. Screwed up the crimp. Looked like they took the case and threw it around awhile before putting it on the shelf at Academy.

Yeah, I hate I missed today. Weather was great. Maybe next time.

Its ok west, we brought some of your blazing speed with us, well maybe it was just your ar15 target trophy, but I think it must have helped anyway.

Ryan, I was scratching my head at that, I saw both of them, it looked like there was no "glue" connecting the brass to the plastic. There may not supposed to be any, but I always imagined it was glued together somehow.

You guys are lucky that everything came out. When it happened to me the brass came off leaving the plasitc "hull" in the barrel. The next shell in tamped it nicely in place...zeroing the stage! Hadn't seen this in a while but it does happen and YES it is all the ammo. Call up Remington and they will replace what you haven't used! KurtM

Here is the brass:

015119.JPG

I agree with Kyle. It is clean as a whistle. If they do glue them in, it looks like that step got skipped on the 3 I had issues with.

You are correct Kurt. I was lucky I was able to clear 2 of them without tools. It did hurt my time, but I was able to finish. I may give Remington a call, but I shot up the rest of that box, and the other 2 I used didn't give me any problems.

On the stage with the plate racks I saw a couple more brass pieces like the one above AFTER you shot Ryan. I've used cases of this stuff through my M2 and never had a problem.... I'm thinking you got a bad lot.

Edited by CDPMatt

On the stage with the plate racks I saw a couple more brass pieces like the one above AFTER you shot Ryan. I've used cases of this stuff through M@ and never had a problem.... I'm thinking you got a bad lot.

I wish there would have been 2 more on the ground that stage...

It's this ammo:

http://www.academy.com/index.php?page=content&target=products/outdoors/hunting/ammunition/shotgun&start=0&selectedSKU=WEB+10+REMINGTON+SHUR+SHOT+TARGET+LOADS

I went back to the range to try to find the hulls, but no luck. I did find another hull with the same problem. It was a Remington, but this one was a Heavy Dove.

I've contacted Remington. I'll post how it turns out.